blink 2 CP sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blink 2 CP sensor

My car intermittently dies. I just had. Blink code 2. What should I do? I have a donor festiva. Should i swap dizzy and pcm?
    Yellow 91 festiva GL 5speed
    Red 88festiva L 4spd
    Blue 91festiva L 5spd (bad tranny, sloppy suspension)

Check over the connections for tightness and if you have another good distr. try that first.
    When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

My money is on loose connectors or weathered ground wires. G102 grounds a number of sensors, and is located at the front right of the cylinder head near the coolant temperature sensor. G103 grounds a few other things including the ignition module, and can be found on the frame at the back right-hand side of the engine bay. From there, ensure that the connectors at the ignition module and distributor have been sprayed, cleaned up, and are secure.
      1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

I thought grounds would have something to do with it, the original grounds have been moved. Off my negative terminal Im ground to the body under the coil near strut housing. Grounded at starter bracket, this one seems useless except to start car because aluminum tranny. I moved a ground last night, it was on passenger strut housing to cylinder head, this too was useless because of aluminum. I relocated to front timing cover bolt near dipstick support to body near passenger headlight.

I wire wheeled all of the locations and retightened them.

Could a alternator going bad do this? My thoughts no but it crossed my mind.
        Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

Originally posted by Jblair View Post
          this too was useless because of aluminum. I relocated to front timing cover bolt near dipstick support to body near passenger headlight.
          If you're concerned about the aluminum (which you shouldn't be, a lot of houses in the 70's, mine included, were wired with aluminum wiring) then you haven't changed anything. The timing cover bolt you mentioned goes into either the water pump or oil pump which are both aluminum. I haven't had issue with grounds in stock locations as long they are clean and tight.
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada
          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Aluminum is not as conductive or ferris metals typically. I just relocated it to try it. The Timing cover bolt goes through the brass eye into the cast iron block. But. I Don't think it ground having cleaned them all and relocated. I just don't know anything about the CP Sensor. I think it is found in the DIzzy but i do not really know. I'm going to swap the Dizzy and try it. The connectors could be loose but I have taken them off and reconnected them. I am a little worried there may be a seperate issue like a short or something and I could ruin my Dizzy. The car has a instant power loss and stalls or no power loss and just stalls. Sometimes it refires and sometimes it doesnt.
            Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

Working...
            X