Front end noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front end noise

I’d like to know how I can test the front shock assemblies and the manual transmission to see if either is producing the noise the car is making. Would also appreciate suggestions on other things to check. I’ve done a search and got some ideas from old threads.

Here’s the background…

Spring is here and with it potholes and rough patches in the streets and roads. A high pitched front end knock appeared when driving over rough spots. It got more frequent and then at times almost continuous. Seems to be turned on by driving over potholes and patches. Appears to be centrally located or just to the right of centre.

The front end was jacked up and fasteners checked on the shock assemblies and lower control arms. All were tight. I’ve had noise from a loose pinch bolt before. It was a low pitched knock, quite different from what is happening now.

The tires were put back on the elevated car and rocked back and forth vigorously with the car in gear to check for play in the transmission. It seemed loose but I have little experience to draw on. The engine was started with the wheels still off the ground. There was a rumbling sound in 4th gear (4 speed manual transmission).

The car was taken for a test drive. Small circles in a parking lot produced no noise so the 2 year old axles (CV joints) are assumed to be okay. Coasting down a hill with the car out of gear did not remove the sound (pretty persistent rumbling ), clutch in or clutch out. Coasting down the hill with the engine off and in and out of gear did not remove the sound. When driving back up the hill the noise could be produced by pressing on the accelerator. the bearings were done just after the CV joints and appear to be tight when pulling and pusing on the tops of the tires.

The right front tire was replaced by the full sized spare with no change in the noise. I had put new snow tires on the rims myself last fall and have not had them balanced yet
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Hmmm check your front sway bar attachment points both the front two and where they attach at the control arms on each side. Wife's car had the same thing. Bumps in the road was causing the sway bar to rattle in the wore out rubber bushings.
    "Its not fast, but its fast for a festiva."

Comment

Check for play at the rack. Easy Way if it's really bad it will knock when you jounce on the front bumper.

Comment

Working...
      X