Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distibutor Wires

Hey guys,

Longtime no post, but that's a good thing! So I was having start and spark problems it was the plug to the top of the radiator all the wires were broken off of the terminals. So I dug out those terminals resoldered them and placed the back inside. It was the biggest pain. And that pain broke. So I was wondering what you guys either from expeirence or common sense. Its my birthday and I'm stuck at a shop with everything in it. I need the best option.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk 2

Cut a new pigtail from a junkyard festy. And solder that it.

Comment

To reterminate means no solder. I pop the terminals out of the original connector, then crimp new open barrel terminals on each wire, then pop them back in. I buy all my terminals from Eastern Beaver. They are identical to the .250 brass, factory terminals. Everyone should have some extra Yazaki terminals. The are cents each. Get a whole bunch of stuff. The minimum order is $20. Also buy an open barrel crimper on eBay. You will laugh at any wiring problem. You will never splice or solder wires again.
      I rewired my Festiva. No shorts. No problems. Factory specs.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 03-13-2014, 07:51 AM.

Comment

The forum comes through again! I'm just going to solder it for a few days and order a whole ton of those. My wiring is falling apart but the engine is strong as an ox.... well a baby ox...

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

They are expensive, but the Hero terminal remover is my favorite tool.
          It pays for itself, when you reuse old connectors. Just go to the junk yard, cut a bunch of connectors off, go home and release the terminals.
          Remember that there are three different size barrels, depending on the wire gauge you are using. make sure you get a mix. 30% of the small gauge, 60% of the medium gauge and 10% of the large gauge. In addition to the .250" brass, tangless spade terminals (male and female), be sure to get a bunch of .090" pin terminals (male and female) as well.
          Check out the condition of the terminals to your starter connector in your engine compartment. I find that it also has a tendency to be heavily oxidized or on the verge of breaking. They are .312", one large and one narrow (male + female).

I will post a how to video in the spring.
          Good luck.
          Last edited by bravekozak; 03-13-2014, 11:02 AM.

Comment

I replaced those a couple weeks ago with the starter. Old electrical connectors. Gotta love them.

Comment

Working...
            X