how do i get a rotor off the hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i get a rotor off the hub

my cars rotors are scourged and I was going to replace them from my parts car but I cant get them separated from the hub any one know how

The are a press fit. You need the proper tools to do them.

You can swap the whole knuckle. Two strut bolts, one axle Nut, one tie rod and the lower control arm bolt. You'd have to take them off anyhow
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by jaketlong11 View Post
      my cars rotors are scourged and I was going to replace them from my parts car but I cant get them separated from the hub any one know how

Now you understand why we recommend upgrading to vented Aspire rotors.

Comment

who do you think would have this tool or would a shop do it

Comment

I pay something like $85 to have a local machine shop pull everything apart and press it all back together with new parts (usually just bearing, which I supply) together for front left and right sides (total of $85).
          88L black, dailydriver
          88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
          4 88/89 disassembled
          91L green
          91GL aqua pwrsteer
          92GL red a/c reardmg
          3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
          1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Jake are you fixing up a festy? If so i might know someone with a complete aspire swap (swapping aspire brake and hub parts in place of festiva parts) let me know because i saw you were parting a car, now it seems as if you're building one.

Comment

im doing both im fixing my dd and parting out another car from the package deal

Comment

Moved to the proper section

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Jake, if you take your Festiva knuckles in to a shop to get them done, make sure the guy knows to check the order the spacer(s) are in and to reuse them when reassembling the components. Otherwise, your new bearings won't last too long.

Karl
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Right about now is when you discover the simplicity and beauty of swapping over to Aspire or Rio knuckles. Festy front brakes are the Achilles tendon on these cars. Back when I was willing to tangle with these I would bring the knuckle and new rotor, a 6 pack of beer and a $20 bill to my local garage and have them do it. If you makeshift try this at home and screw up in some small way the lifespan of the bearings becomes rather short!

Comment

I take mine to Eurotiva an he fixes it up.
                      1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

there is an independently owned parts place near me who has a surfacing machine capable of refacing the discs while still on the knuckle. of course the discs had to be thick enough to shave. i had 2 sets done by him. just removed the whole knuckle and dropped it off.

Comment

Photos of a DIY rebuild so you can see what's involved....
                          Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I did mine with a slide hammer. Remove caliper. Remove axle nut. Install slide hammer onto hub/rotor. "knock" the hub out. Most likely the outer bearing and the spacer will come out too. R&R the rotor. Apply some grease to the bearing and use a hammer and a 2X4 to get it started back in. Tighten the axle nut and this should "press" the assembly back into the knuckle. And then you're done.

This isn't the "recommended" method but it worked for me. I also left the old grease seal installed so it pretty much slid back in on its own (maybe with a questionable sealing but meh) but if you use a new one it may be more difficult without damaging it. That was about a year ago. Still have had no problems since.

Comment

Working...
                            X