More problems with my 88 Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More problems with my 88 Festiva

I have a 2-door hatchback 1988 Ford Festiva L with a manual transmission that I bought 3 months ago.

It started idling really really rough last week, going dead at the stop light, having trouble cranking. It has started using about 1/3 cup of antifreeze (no hose leaks) each time I drive it, and it is using oil like crazy over the past few days (at least a 1 quart over 3-5 days). Gas mileage went from 39 mph to 28-30 mph also.

I though it might need a tune up and was taking it to the mechanic when the engine/transmission area started making a awful grinding noise that went away when I depressed the clutch. In 4th gear it started whining when I accelerated yesterday, then it started the grinding noise.

Mechanic thinks it is either the head gasket, warped head, or cracked block on the engine causing the oil and antifreeze consumption. Little bit of white smoke was coming out of the tail pipe when he was checking it.

He thinks that the clutch pressure plate is shot in addition to the input bearing, pilot bearing, and clutch release bearing. I was able to get the car home again, and I am going to leave it for the time beings.

Do you think he is right about the problems? Repair estimates are from $1000-$2500. Does this sound about right?

well considering you can get another good festiva for 1000 or under, I think spending 2500 dollars to fix that ones stock engine and tranny is silly.

Your problems do sound like a cracked block, or warped head to me, but if it was any of those things he should have been able to see more signs then alittle smoke comming out of the tail pipe. Also if your BURNING the antifreeze, you would definetely smell something sweet.

You could get a B6 engine and another stock tranny for 500 bucks if you did the work yourself.

Your choice now though

Comment

Do the B6 swap. It's the best value for the money.

It's also fairly easy to do, and requires only basic tools.

Regards,

Tim
      White '89L auto - Sold!
      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

It sounds like you need to inquire here for a engine and a tranny !!
        It will be alot cheaper that having your rebuilt ,believe me
        ------------------------------------------------
        The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
        Smart Passion white with H-D interior
        HD2500 Duramax Chevy
        Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
        Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
        Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
        Z28 LS1 power 500 +
        90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
        It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Working...
        X