CV Boot Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV Boot Replacement

I was inspecting the boots the other day and on the drivers side there is a crack on the bottom of the boot about 1/2 inch-1 inch long. I was going to replace it. Should I replace both boots? What part am I looking for if I go to an auto parts store? Is it an inner boot or the outer. I am fairly new to Auto repair. SO is it hard to do? Is it easy enough I won't screw anything up? What tools would I need?

Black '89 Ford Festiva L with 4 Speed Manual Transmission

my suggestion is to buy a rebuilt CV shaft
    to save any headaches , in case your CV joint was damaged , prior replacing the boots

and the shafts usually costs about $50 - $75

Comment

So what exactly is a rebuilt CV shaft. Does it come with a boot and everything? Is it pre lubricated with grease? And is a CV shaft about $75 for one side or what? Sorry if I'm asking too much.

Comment

The rebuilt cv shaft comes with new boots and is greased and ready to go. You can get one side at your local Autozone in Colorado Springs for $59.99 with a $22.50 core, which will be refunded to you once you bring back your old cv shaft. They have a lifetime limited warranty on them as well. The part number for a driver side axle with a manual transmission is 8331 and for the passenger side it is 8332. Hope that answers all of your questions :wink:
        90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
        92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
        94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
        94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

buy the whole shaft. i took mine to a mechanic friend of mine and it only took a half an hour to install.

Comment

So I should just wait until the CV joint wears out. The passenger side looks good, with no cracks or anything. And I haven't heard a racheting noise YET. So it's probably a better idea to get the shaft for the drivers side then.

Comment

ya, thats what im doing, waiting for the cv's to get real loud, then just get reman half shafts for $59.00 with a warranty, instead of spending $30.00 on a 2 peice boot just to have them come apart 5k miles later.

Comment

Working...
              X