p/s pump rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p/s pump rebuild

I searched, but could not find a thread about rebuilding a power steering pump. I removed my pump today and am going to attempt a rebuild tomorrow. I hope I have the right part kits. I will post pictures as I go.
    Wish me luck. I think I am going to need it. I have only rebuilt a Delco p/s pump before, but it had an integral reservoir.

Ready to start.

So that's what is in there!

Yes, it is a Mitsubishi pump and the Gates repair kit part number is 348406. It is available from NAPA. It includes all of the O-rings, vane body rings and main shaft seal.

Comment

Progress update. I pulled apart 90% of the pump. The circlip was difficult to remove. I had to dig it out of the groove. I began with an Exacto knife, then a compass point and finally a mini screwdriver blade. Now with the shaft out of the way, I can finally remove and replace the leaking main seal. The vanes must be re-installed with the square edges facing inward in the impeller.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 05-20-2014, 05:54 AM.

Comment

O.K. I dug out the old seal. What sexy color should I paint the pump housing before I install my new seal? Bright yellow, red, orange, blue, green, or just plain old black? How about a two tone paint job with a different color for the backplate? After all, it's at the top left front of the engine compartment.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 05-20-2014, 07:02 AM.

Comment

I vote Orange

Comment

I have that color and was thinking about it too. It will be a Michaelangelo paint job, with a brush. No spray.

Comment

"Who's your sexy pump?"

Leonardo, move over.
              Last edited by bravekozak; 05-20-2014, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Lol , it looks great and thanks for the info on the rebuild kit.
                Make sure to post a pick when you get it installed.

Comment

I tried to buy another rebuild kit to have as a spare and couldn't find one.
                  The bore in the pump housing is 1.250" and the shaft diameterr is .666".
                  The seal was 1.262" before installation. It must crush down for a tight seal?

Comment

RockAuto

EDELMANN Part # 8825 More Info Power Steering Repair Kit $9.43

GATES Part # 348406 More Info Power Steering Repair Kit; Pump Seal Kit $13.49

Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total
                    1991 FORD FESTIVA 1.3L L4
                    EDELMANN 8825 Power Steering Pump Seal Kit $ 9.43 $ 0.00 1 $ 9.43
                    Shipping First Class Mail $ 2.47
                    Order Total $ 11.90
                    Last edited by bravekozak; 05-23-2014, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Today, I spent a half an hour filing, with jeweller's files, the vane slot ridges. There was wear on the lower side, resulting in one stuck vane and two more that could not be inserted from the opposite side. The impeller is case hardened. The vanes are 0.070" thick. Do not attempt a rebuild without jeweller's files that are less than .070". The vanes must be able to fly out with centrifugal force and push fluid from one chamber into the other chanber of the eccentric lobes.
                      Now for the hard part, reinstalling the circlip.
                      Last edited by bravekozak; 05-24-2014, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Remember to install the front bracket before you install the pulley. The pulley was only used to support the pump body for the circlip install and for painting. It really does look like a Florida orange!
                        Last edited by bravekozak; 05-26-2014, 08:21 PM.

Comment

No spec in shop manual for rear pump cover bolt torque!
                          If you tighten them down all the way, the pump doesn't turn!
                          I pulled it apart to make sure I wasn't tightening on the giant vane body o-rings.
                          Tried it again and the same thing happened. Backed off the bolts until there was no bimding. I will install it, take a pic, check for leaks and see if it works.

Comment

I didn't take a pic because there was nothing exciting. Not a single drip.
                            Fresh cardboard was completely dry underneath. Mission accomplished. Return to base! Aye, aye captain!

Comment

You can just barely see it.
                              Last edited by bravekozak; 06-04-2014, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X