Racheting noise while turning corners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racheting noise while turning corners

I have 93 manual festi will 155,000 miles on it. I drive roughly 100 miles a day with it to and from work. I recently replaced the tie rod ends on it (about 2 months ago). When I am turning right at high speeds, like when you are changing interstates, I here a ratcheting noise. It gets louder with the harder you turn the wheel and stops when you straighten out. I did have to remove the anti rattle clip from the brakes because it rusted off (does not sound like the brakes) Ball joints were fine 2 months ago. Any ideas? Could it be the ball joints?, CV joint, Bad bearing, any number of other things

most likely CV joints
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Yep, I second that. CV joints. Take a look under the car and check the CV joint boots. Most likely they are ripped(or possibly chunks missing). If that's the case, you can be certain it's the CV joints.

Comment

I agree with the other gents on this one. If in fact it is the CV axle You can get one side at your local Autozone for $59.99 with a $22.50 core. I just replaced both of mine, and found that to be the best price out there.
        90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
        92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
        94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
        94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

i agree with the others. i replaced the whole shaft 2 years ago and needs replacement again.

Comment

I looked into diagnosing CV joint problems last year. From what I read they are more likely to make noise at low speeds. One way to check is to make slow tight turns and listen. I tried it in a parking lot driving in tight circles.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
            X