internal speedometer gear broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• internal speedometer gear broken

the internal speedometer gear [ not the gear on the end of the cable assy.] in my 91 festiva [u.s.] 5 speed no longer turns when the wheels move . has this happened to anyone else ? unusual or common? dealer says part no longer available. i have parts car.
    91 u.s. festiva L 189423 mi. GL int. , engine started smoking [sold]
    93 u.s. festiva gl 222000 mi. bad engine , parts car [sold]
    1981 ford F-100 400000+ miles ? , looks rough - runs good
    1963 1/2 Ford Falcon 4 door base model , 106000 original miles , second owners

I've had my cable snap but not the gear strip. Sorry
    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

I put a tranny in my 88 about 2 months ago that the speedo started out working erratically then just quit and the problem was in the transmission. Replaced the tranny again and now it works.
      The speedo gear is on the differential, not something that would be fun to replace.

Jeff
      ~Jeff
      1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
      1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
      2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

i thought that i didn't want to try to replace the gear, but i am glad it appears to be an unusual problem , judging by the small number of responses. time to swap trannys [oh my aching back] and save this one for gears if i ever need them. i can quit thinking about that $200+ electronic speedometer that reads off magnets on the axleshaft. thanks for the info.
        91 u.s. festiva L 189423 mi. GL int. , engine started smoking [sold]
        93 u.s. festiva gl 222000 mi. bad engine , parts car [sold]
        1981 ford F-100 400000+ miles ? , looks rough - runs good
        1963 1/2 Ford Falcon 4 door base model , 106000 original miles , second owners

Comment

Working...
        X