Brake Line Repair Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Line Repair Question

Getting ready to replace the brake lines running to my rear drums today and I had a question about the size of brake line nuts I'm to use. I took an old one into the auto store to match them up but the gentlemen who helped me seemed to be guessing as to which size I'm to use. I suppose this sort of information isn't in their database. Here's what I ended up with. Can anyone tell me if these are correct before I get started?

A pack of steel brake line nuts for 3/16 brake line. 7/16 - 24 inverted thread size
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    You can't polish a turd but sure as hell can roll it in glitter.

Rally rat. All thread sizes are metric. Search engine time.
    Use double quotes around "bleeder screws".

Left rear

Right rear
    Last edited by bravekozak; 06-10-2014, 07:24 AM.

Comment

I figured it was metric but this dude insisted it was 7/16. Forgive me but what's engine time?

Comment

Do not even try to screw in 7/16.
        You are too fast for me. I'm still checking.

Bleeder screws

Are the Festiva rear bleeder screws a different size than the front?
        I only know that they are all the same size on an Aspire.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 06-10-2014, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Old parts store guy is probably stuck in the 70's and thinks just because it says ford on it that everything is still SAE.
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Not sure if they are the same upfront or not. I imagine they are. At work right now or I'd go check. Just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I got home and get started, being as I live 30 minutes out side of town in the boonies with zero cell reception lol.

Comment

I'm not in need of bleeder screws though. I'm looking for the proper size brake nut to secure the actual metal brake line into the rubber portion of line. In other words I'm running enitirely new brake lines from the portioning valve up front to the back of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by RallyRat View Post
                just so you know rallyrat mythbusters did a show, and turns out you actually can polish a turd.
                so you may want to change your signature :-P
                Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Lol rmoltis! Looks like I'm going to have to reevaluate my life's approach lmao.

Comment

Rallyrat, you realize those lines go in and bend around the firewall at the transmission support bracket. The best time to tackle those brake lines is with that bracket out of the way. The engine/transmission needs to be held up with a hoist.
                    Last edited by bravekozak; 06-10-2014, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Hmmmm well moving the trans out of the way is out of the question for now. The lines are still in good shape towards the front of the car. I'm moving soon and need to get this sorted out in a timely manner. Even if it's just a temporary fix. I suppose I'll have to attempt to splice in some new brake line where I can. I have a flaring tool and have read that a double flare union is a safe and acceptable fix if done properly. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
                        just so you know rallyrat mythbusters did a show, and turns out you actually can polish a turd.
                        so you may want to change your signature :-P
                        heres the video

Last edited by rmoltis; 06-10-2014, 08:39 AM.
                        Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

It should really go into a brass block designed for that purpose.

Comment

It is my understanding that when splicing new line into existing you create a double flare on each end and connect the two using a brass fitting. However, I still need to find out what size brake line nut I need to connect the new hose to the rubber portion of the line that lives near the rear of the car.

Comment

They should be M8 X 1.0
                              Can some please verify this.
                              All of my flex lines screwed into the same size fittings.
                              Last edited by bravekozak; 06-10-2014, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X