lets play two

Comment

do you know at RPM does it idle at?

Comment

idles too fast

no I just got the car 3 weeks ago
          lets play two

Comment

Has it done this since you got the car, or is this a new development ?
            sigpic
            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

I have '88 that sat for a couple of years. Was fine before but when reactivated it had high and very high idle. Problem was sticking throttle plate in the carburetor. With engine off, open throttle and spray good solvent on each side of the throttle plate. Get it on the hinge points. Work the throttle several times then let it sit, overnight is best.

Can also spray with engine idling, same location but not as effective. Sea Foam is great. Deep Creep is excellent. PB Blaster also good.

Cost me a lot of money to learn this on my twin engine boat. For you, free.

Comment

Auto stores sell a solvent call "carburettor cleaner" in a spray can.
                Read the instructions on the can. When you spray it into the carburetor of a warmed up dirty engine back smoke can pour out the tailpipe. Don't be surprised by it. Don't try it where it might annoy the family or the neighbours.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I tuned it up about 3 or 4 days before Then I noticed it.
                  lets play two

Comment

Check carefully for vacuum leaks. Distributor vacuum advance, etc. If vacuum is below 19 inches, you may have a problem. Car will never run right until you figure out. Almost drove me nuts chasing my butt!

Comment

mine idles fast too. maybe its just an old festy thing :lol:
                      89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
                      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
                      92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
                      New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

From the passenger side of the carb is the big plastic adjustment screw to change your idle.

It should idle like a kitten.

Smooth, quit and perfect.

Take the air breather off and move things around a little bit and accelerate it a little.

Comment

Fast idle can be caused by a faulty ignition control module (aka transistorized points) in the distributor. They can be taken out and tested for free at some parts stores. If the car starts stalling randomly that can also be a symptom of a failing ICM.
                          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                          X