93L: Check Engine Light --> Dies + Then Cranks Great But Won't Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground self test connector.
    Count flashes to determine the last code stored in memory.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 07-01-2014, 07:02 AM.

Comment

He isn't getting any codes when he self tests. Just a thought, if you disconnect your ECT and try starting the car, does it throw a CEL?

BTW - Did you try wiggling the wire to the ECT when it acts up? I'm thinking it is unrelated now, but still curious.
      - Form should follow function...

Comment

Greetings, everyone.

(I've been virtually non-existent for well over a year as I focused on moving into a different career field but I hope to spend more time here on the site again.)

The good news is that the Festy featured in this thread with the intermittent starting problem ("Vextiva") has now been FIXED! Car had quit starting entirely about May 2015 and sat in my driveway since then. To get it going again it needed a new battery, the fuel tank had to be cleaned (had some powdery residue in the tank that looked like salt???), a new fuel pump, a new fuel pump relay and a new fuel filter. Thought that fixed it but after the engine running in idle for over an hour it died just as I started to back it out of the garage. Same friggin' problem as before: the engine cranked just fine but would not fire up. :gritteeth::gritteeth:

The REAL fix?

The main relay connection was loose and simply needed to be reconnected tighter. More of this ------> :gritteeth::gritteeth: The guy I bought it from in June 2014 had CEL/stalling/intermittent starting problems and had taken it to 2 mom and pop mechanic shops in Denver as well as a Ford dealer in Colorado and none of them could figure it out. I had a hunch the fix would be simple but that's ridiculous.

But, hey, at least it's running again. With only 51,000 miles it should run now until the end of time! htd

So, anyway.....if your Festy has intermittent starting problems, check the main relay to see if it is nice and tight or not! Cheers!

-
        Last edited by Twistiva; 01-20-2017, 12:39 AM.
        88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
        88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
        91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
        93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Wow that is crazy I had the same problem on my first it was it second? Oh well I know I had the same problem. That's great to hear.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk
          88 Ford Festiva LX "Miogi" B8-ME swapped.

93 Ford Festiva L "Haywire" Rat infested trashcan WIP

Comment

Did you use any teflon tape or other stuff on the ECT sensor threads?

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
              Did you use any teflon tape or other stuff on the ECT sensor threads?
              Brave - Don't think I ever did. What's the point of doing this?
              88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
              88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
              91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
              93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Working...
              X