No announcement yet.

secondary coolant hoses on '91 Festiva?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• secondary coolant hoses on '91 Festiva?

I was driving a few days ago in my '91 Festiva and smelled anti-freeze and looking under the hood noticed a leak spraying coolant on the front of the motor coming from a small hose from the head between the temperature sending unit and the thermoswitch for the cooling fan and that went to a metal pipe going across the front of the motor.

At a local parts store here they didn't have any coolant hose that small so I used fuel line hose and a longer length than the preformed hose I replaced so that I could make the tight corner of the old hose without having the new one have a kink in it.

There seems to be quite a few smaller coolant hoses on the motor like the one I replaced so with them all being about fifteen years old I'm imagining I should think about replacing the others too.(though not in places where they may be getting as much heat as that little hose that leaked) I've already replaced the lower radiator hose that had begun to fail from age.

I'm wondering if fuel line hose is acceptable or if I should try to find coolant specific hose? I know replacing heater hoses on other water-cooled motors that often the available replacement hose was of a better quality than stock. Its sure no fun to have a hose fail and suddenly lose all of the coolant. I haven't checked with Ford to see if they have any Festiva specific hoses, but imagine other sources might be less expensive and perhaps better quality?

The little hose I've already replaced with fuel line hose seemed the tightest angle of them all, but the systems around the Idle Speed Control-Bypass Air[ISC-BPA] seem to involve all sorts of small hoses carrying coolant and since the ISC-BPA on my car has never worked and seems to not affect much of anything in the mild climate where I live they all seem pretty superfluous though threatening if they were to fail and so worthy of replacement whenever that is convenient.(?)
    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

I'm not entirely sure what the question is, but... if you are just looking to replace the hoses with fresh ones before they give out, just check the diameter and goto the parts store. They should be able to hook you up with replacement coolant line by the foot. I bought about 4' of the stuff when I redid my coolant lines a couple of years ago (after having one of the little hoses bust like yours). Wound up only taking under two feet, and I was able to use the rest on my boat cause it had the same size lines in it. I wouldn't advise using the fuel line, simply because it may not be designed to withstand the pressures and temperatures that can occur in the cooling system. Hope that helps...
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

my source was faulty and I needed to check around

I checked around the several auto parts stores here and found about half are selling fuel line as adequate replacement for coolant hose of this size and think this perfectly adequate and get offended if I question them.

The other stores however have proper coolant hose in the smaller size and also some selection of pre-formed hose where there is a tight bend. And they agree that using fuel line would be inappropriate.

I was disappointed that the first place I went to I tend to trust who sell good quality imported car parts and are locally owned was one of those who recommended the fuel line.(as did the big chain store where I buy oil and other generic type stuff that is cheapest there)

A small older locally owned store that sells parts for domestics and imports AND a NAPA store both had the coolant hose and special pre-formed sections.

BTW: Ever since the leak when driving my car I can smell anti-freeze and this is getting really noxious so that I'm thinking of getting my engine power washed to get rid of the odor which I assumn is also toxic since anti-freeze itself is.

I lost a little over a quart of coolant which was sprayed all over the front of the motor and exhaust manifold and I'd of thought this would dry up or have been washed away when I poured some water over it, but the smell seems willing to persist.(YUCK!)

The power wash is fifteen dollars, but I imagine I could get a similar result at a car wash for less.(?)
      '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

run on over to the local car wash and drop $1.50 in... then just pressure wash the motor and if they have the engine degrease stuff spray that on too. it should clear up any antifreeze and it will also make the engine shiny. Just remember to cover the distributor and ignition coil with a plastic bad to keep the water out or your car may not crank again tilll it dries (found this out the hard way)
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Gates hose part # 18206 and on the other side of the tag is #0 72053 19142 4
          The hose you want is not avail anymore ,
          This hose has the correct bend and is a little longer ,you just cut to fit
          ------------------------------------------------
          The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
          Smart Passion white with H-D interior
          HD2500 Duramax Chevy
          Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
          Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
          Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
          Z28 LS1 power 500 +
          90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
          It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

many thanks to packrat!!

Well on the way home from work today my hose went :shock: ,
            I got home and called Auto Zone, they said sorry cant get it, Then I
            remembered I seen it here :idea: ... I called Napa, sure I got that,
            WOW 20 min later, I'm back in business.
            So Packrat many thanks to you!!

I'm on here alot, I just don't say much
            Martin

Comment

Thank you
              You are very welcome !!
              ------------------------------------------------
              The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
              Smart Passion white with H-D interior
              HD2500 Duramax Chevy
              Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
              Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
              Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
              Z28 LS1 power 500 +
              90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
              It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Working...
              X