steering rack replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering rack replacement

So I know you remove tierod ends (wich is a pain in itself) then you remove the bolts on either side of the steering gear itself, but: where is the last bolt? Is it under the plastic cover in the engine bay? And if so how do you remove the cover, do you just cut it?
    Fast....Women are fast
    Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

I left ties on ,you remove both rack to firewall brackets and the u joint under the rubber boot. I undone the u joint inside to slide it down far enough to get to the one in the boot.
    Once it was free ,I slid it all the way to the driver side and snaked it up and out of the passenger side.

Comment

Thanks that's what I needed to know
      Fast....Women are fast
      Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
        I left ties on ,you remove both rack to firewall brackets and the u joint under the rubber boot. I undone the u joint inside to slide it down far enough to get to the one in the boot.
        Once it was free ,I slid it all the way to the driver side and snaked it up and out of the passenger side.
        Thanks for that great tip. In the past I have removed them totally from the inside leaving the u joint on and had a devil of a time getting them back in.
        Loosening inside, sliding down and them removing on the outside will solve that problem.

Comment

So to be clear.
          The bolt I remove on the inside is the one just on top of the the part ( round thing ) that comes through the firewall?
          Fast....Women are fast
          Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

Yes?
            Fast....Women are fast
            Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

Yes

Comment

Thanks.