"new" 88 just bought, carb all ready pulled Help w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "new" 88 just bought, carb all ready pulled Help w

Hi. Just picked this up last week. The guy had all ready pulled the carb off. The thing sat for about 3 years. When he tried to start it, no gas to cylinders. He deduced it to the carb. Said there was plenty of gas at the fuel inlet to the carb. I got the car, carb and a carb rebuild kit for 400 bucks (126kmiles, l model). Since the carb was all ready out, I went through it. I noticed the accelerator pump was frozen. Replaced it and gave the rest a very thorough cleaning. Now I am ready to reinstall. I have the diagram that someone linked to here, thanks. I also noticed that I have the same thing, only smaller stuck up under the hood. What I was hoping is that someone may have clear pictures of these lines before being disturbed. I know, I'm asking alot. Appreciate any help.

Rick

Ok, does anyone have a factory vacuum manual? I have seen them on e-bay and wonder if they would be of help to me. I'd appreciate any comments.

Later.

Rick

Comment

Hmm, I guess I'll try another question. I put the carb on then tried to start the car. Cranked and cranked, no fire. Poured a little gas down the top of the carb. Cranked, putted then ran about 5-10 seconds. I had throttle control before it conked out. To verify that I was getting fuel delivered, I popped off the fuel line and stuck it in the carb. Then I fired it up. Ran about another 10 seconds before it flooded out, of course. Plenty of fuel going to the carb. So, here is my third question, what would be possibly causing this?

Thanks a bunch.

Rick

Comment

unfortunately i don't have any info on or even owed a carberated Festiva

personal preference: go injected

Comment

I would hasten a guess that there aren't too many with carbed cars that want to divulge any info. I will see about getting a good shop manual off of e-bay and go thru the carb very carefully. I may get lucky and fix it w/o too much money.

Appreciate your time mechanicaldj.

Rick

Comment

A standard auto mechanics text should be of help for diagnosing carburettor problems. I've found the public library to be a good source of older books, also second hand sales for people with the time to go to them.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thanks WmWatt. I haven't checked our library yet. Would be nice if they had something!!!

Have a great weekend.

Rick

Comment

Take a look at the left side of the carb as you face the front of the car. There should be a sight glass there and you should be able to see gas about half way up in the glass. If you don't see any gas, then your float needle is either stuck closed or the float is out of adjustment. If you do see gas in the sight glass, you probably have some of the small orifices inside the carb plugged. You said the accel pump was frozen. That's a good sign that the carb is gummed up pretty bad. You may have to take the carb apart and soak the whole thing in carb cleaner (use the stuff that comes in a gallon can, not the spray cans) and then use compressed air and possibly some fine wire to clean all the jets and other small holes.
                You gonna race that thing?
                http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

festy46, thanks a bunch. I was getting ready to pull it back off and soak it in Barrymans. Hope to do it soon and let soak for a while. Will you be able to assist in my vacuum hose connections?

Appreciate it.

Rick

Comment

I've got an '88 that I bought for parts. I haven't touched anything under the hood so if the previous owner hasn't tampered with any of the hoses I could get you a couple pictures of it. Let me know if you want them. I'll try to get them Sunday.

Comment

Be careful when removing the Phillips head screws from the carburetor. They are made of soft (pot) metal and the heads can get damaged easily. I'd give them all a shot or two of solvent before attempting to remove them. I took a big pair of fencing pliers and grabbed the head of each screw with those to break them free before removing them with a screwdriver. I did this after the screwdriver started to deform to head of a screw with no movement of the screw.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Festy46, Yes I would very much like some pictures. Would help tremendously!

WmWatt, thanks for the advise. What I've had apart so far backs up your assertions.

Appreciate the help folks.

Rick

Comment

Have the carb off again. Didn't take it apart yet. Hope to get it in the Barrymans within the next few days.

Festy46, did you get a chance to snap some pics yet? I probably won't NEED them until (optimistically!) this coming Holiday weekend.

I really appreciate your help.

Rick

Comment

Here you go:

Let me know when you have downloaded them because I won't leave them up forever.

Comment

Festy46,

Wow, thanks a bunch. I'm at work now, so will download the pics in the am when I get home.

Very nice pics. Should help out quite a bit.

Later.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X