Change Your Socks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Your Socks!

I thought I would post this as a help to newbies like myself who are having issues with your Festy engines starving for fuel, bucking, bogging, jerking or appear to be running out of gas. It may be your fuel sock. The fuel sock is the first line of defense for your fuel pump and filters out dirt, rust and debris. The fuel pump and sock live in the bottom of your fuel tank in a separate reservoir to provide ample fuel supply while going around curves and hard stops. The sock acts as a wick to draw needed fuel into the pump. If your sock is dirty, plugged or varnished over, the pump will be starved for fuel. The separate reservoir mentioned above is fed by a 1/2" tube that must be checked and cleaned for dirt, rust and debris as well.

Here is what my 21 year old sock looked like when I pulled it yesterday.

Sock-2.jpg

Here is the comparison of the old sock versus the new. The new one is an Airtex but Denso makes a good one as well.

Sock-1.jpg

Lastly, here is a photo of the new sock partially installed.

Sock-3.jpg

Once you have eliminated ignition, VAF and mechanical issues....maybe simply changing your fuel sock will fix your problem.

Incidentally, my Festy runs perfect now after changing mine.
    "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
    “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Changing the fuel sock is especially important if cheap ethanol gas has been used or if the fuel has split into a lower water layer. Rust is usually the main blockage problem with the sock. Use the search engine to locate the proper Denso replacement part number. A couple of different models can be used. They call them pre-filters or fuel pump strainers.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 07-17-2014, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X