Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1993 Festiva with blown engine. Do I Fix, Sell, or Scrap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 Festiva with blown engine. Do I Fix, Sell, or Scrap?

Hi everyone. I think this question is best suited for this sub-forum, but please correct me if I am wrong.

I have a 1993 Ford Festiva with a totaled engine. Part of me is thinking, "Scrap it and cut my losses". Another part is saying "Try to find a used engine for a good price and have someone put it in." Yet another part is saying "Go full retard and put a Riding lawnmower engine in it or an electric drive with an auxiliary gas generator for a gheto-Volt"

I need some feedback from the members here. Here are some pictures to give people an idea what I am working with. Click link below for full size image.

Thanks for any helpful feedback.

You have the rare power steering, A/C combo.
    If you decide to part it, I will be first in line for your power steering rack.
    Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 07-18-2014, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Any rust? Body in good shape?
      Last edited by 91green; 07-18-2014, 08:23 PM.
      93 Festiva L Aqua(Fern) 5speed 218,000kms-DD and holding on (rusting )
      93 Festiva L Caymen green Metallic 156,000km. 5speedOngoing project
      90 Festiva L Bright Blue Metallic 36,000km,5speed, my rust free BPproject.

Comment

I see that the VAF meter is missing. Did you already part with it?

Comment

That's a keeper. 1.6l swap better than new.
          1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

If the body is in good shape with no rust, then I would get another engine for it. Either a stock engine or go with a B6 for more power.
            1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
            1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
            1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
            2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
            2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
            2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
            1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

You didn't give us much to go on. How long have you had it, how many miles have you driven it? You love em' or you don't. Dollar for dollar, they can not be beat.
              If you can do most of the work yourself I say keep it. What else can you get that will get close to 40 mpg and has a support system like a Festiva?
              I hate being Bi-Polar, it's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by 91green View Post
                Any rust? Body in good shape?
                There is a reason it's been rattle-canned. Structural bits seem decent.

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                I see that the VAF meter is missing. Did you already part with it?
                Nope, it's in the back seat. It was removed while it was being determined that the engine is trashed.

Originally posted by muleskinner View Post
                If the body is in good shape with no rust, then I would get another engine for it. Either a stock engine or go with a B6 for more power.
                There is quite a bit of rust on the lower body panels, which is why a previous owner spray painted it, the frame itself seems like it is in decent shape, but I'm not a super mechanic.

If I did go for an engine swap, does anyone have a good source for engines? Preferably something I could pick up close by with my pickup. I don't have the supplies needed to do a swap myself. What sort of costs might I be looking at?

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                You have the rare power steering, A/C combo.
                If you decide to part it, I will be first in line for your power steering rack.
                Good luck with your decision.
                The car may very well be more valuable as parts. Figured if I would see if there was a somewhat cost-effective way to get it moving again or if people start throwing me offers for parts.

Originally posted by frogman View Post
                You didn't give us much to go on. How long have you had it, how many miles have you driven it? You love em' or you don't. Dollar for dollar, they can not be beat.
                If you can do most of the work yourself I say keep it. What else can you get that will get close to 40 mpg and has a support system like a Festiva?
                Sorry, I wasn't trying to be intentionally vague. Just wasn't sure what information would be relevant. Thanks for the questions.

I haven't had it for long, bought it as a beater, not knowing that the engine was so close to death. My dad used to have a Chevy Sprint and I loved that car and the Festiva is pretty close to it. I loved driving this thing around even when I had to feather the throttle to keep it running. I just don't know if I should cut my losses or not. I suppose it really depends on how much it will cost for a refurb engine.
                Last edited by Crosshair; 07-18-2014, 10:11 PM. Reason: Added responce

Comment

I was able to find a reasonably low mileage engine to swap for about $150 IIRC plus the run to go get it.

Use car-part.com, and CALL the places that show up. They don't answer emails in my experience.
                  Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                  91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                    I was able to find a reasonably low mileage engine to swap for about $150 IIRC plus the run to go get it.

Use car-part.com, and CALL the places that show up. They don't answer emails in my experience.
                    Hmmmm. Checking from area code 58201 shows the closest engines being about 280 miles away. One has 225k on it and is graded c and the other is unknown mileage and grade.

The other two options have low compression on two cylinders or a missing timing belt and broken top bell bolt.

Geese I'm such a noob at this. Any other potential sources?

Another stupid question, how long would it take a mechanic to swap the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by Crosshair View Post
                      Another stupid question, how long would it take a mechanic to swap the engine?
                      It took zoomzoom less than 12 hours to swap my engine with another. Before we put the other engine in, we put in new seals & gaskets. These cars are easy to work on & I'm not much of a mechanic myself.
                      1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
                      1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
                      1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
                      2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
                      2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
                      2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
                      1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

Broken timing belt is no biggie since you should probably replacing it and the water pump prior to R&R and maybe you get a discount for it being broken. They dont crash valves.

FIX IT!!!
                        1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                        1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                        1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                        1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                        2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                        2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                        2005 Accord - wife's DD
                        2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

OK, so I've been PM'd and asked to take some pics of the rear axle bolts where they connect to the sub frame to make sure I continue to have 4 wheels on the car. Here are the pics, let me know what everyone thinks.

Drivers side

Passenger side

I also did some searching on car-part.com for other cars that use the B3 engine and I hit upon a engine from a 1996 Ford Aspire. The listing claims only 35K on it and it's only $250 and 70 miles away. I am not sure if the listing is saying that it comes with the transmission or not. Don't know if they interchange between the Aspire and Festiva. It reads, "FWD,EFI,1.3L,5SP,ASPIRE [300-71013E]" I am running on the assumption that it just comes with the engine and it was from an Aspire with a 5-speed stick.

I'll have to call them on Monday. What does everyone think? If it really is a 35K engine I shouldn't have to do any replacement work on the engine, just have the mechanic drop it in.

Comment

Engine and tranny are direct replacements. Tranny has a lower final drive, so slightly less MPG than Festy tranny. You will need to use the long block only, with the Festy intake stuff and distributor. You will also need to use your '93 big-nose Festy crank pulley to put on the Aspire crank, because Festy and Aspire use different types of drive belts.

Before installing the motor, put in a new rear main seal! Also the front main, and while you're at it, the cam seal. Just simpler to do it out of the car.

Motor price seems very fair, especially for a 35K motor. I'd put in fresh oil with something to de-gunk the motor, like Sea Foam; run it for 15 minutes then drain and refill with fresh oil. And always use a high-quality oil filter.
                            Last edited by TominMO; 07-20-2014, 06:09 PM.
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Aspire to Festy is not a straightforward 'drop in' like a 90-93 EFI B3 (presumably same as what you've already got) is. 96 Aspire stuff is OBDII and that tranny uses different mounts and all the periphery stuff (pulleys/sensors/intake and exhaust manifolds/dizzie/thermostat housing all have to be swapped over from your original OBDI motor.
                              On the other hand you do then get yourself a more efficient roller rocker valvetrain and a lo-mile engine.
                              If your shop tech is skilled and is up for a challenge, and you can get a decent labour quote for the swap, then I'd say go for it. Before you start have the car body checked over to make sure it will survive long enough to recoup your investment.

Comment

Working...
                              X