Which CV is bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which CV is bad?

When I turn to the left I hear the cv click. When I turn to the right I do not get the click. Which side is bad?

Thanks

David

The one with the ripped boot with no grease in it.

Turn the wheel all the way one way then get out of the car and look at the cv. It's hard to miss. It will be broken on the back of the wheel.
    1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Sorry, replaced boots both axles.

Comment

Left. Tight corner compresses & stresses the inner CV more than the outer.

Paradoxically a test for bearings is to swerve to the left and right while driving when it's
        the outer wheel whose worn bearings make a noise.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

And I was going to replace the right one first. That's were the noise seems to be coming from.

Thanks WmWatt

David

Comment

When experience differs from theory more checking is probably needed. I just searched the Internet on "CV joint test" and found a few other things you can look at before deciding which one needs replacing, including jacking up the font end, looking, and feeling around. Good luck.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

id change both axles..... at 30 bucks each from rockauto..... its hardly worth quibbling over

Comment

Originally posted by villageidiot View Post
                id change both axles..... at 30 bucks each from rockauto..... its hardly worth quibbling over
                ^ .... and they are Brand New ones!!!!
                Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

If I remember correctly, the cv joint opposite the direction you're turning when the noise happens is the bad cv. I.e. Turning left with clicking sound = right cv axle is bad; turning right = left cv axle is bad. Keep in mind when turning, it's the outside wheel that's turning faster to compensate for the turn.

Comment

Working...
                  X