Spindle problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spindle problem

Ok so i had an idiot do my breaks spindle got stripped can i use the spindle from opposite side?

Guessing you mean the rear? If so, the passenger rear is a reverse thread unfortunately. (Probably why he stripped it.)

You would need to use the same side you are replacing.
    - Form should follow function...

Comment

Any way to re thread it? was the drivers side

Comment

Not sure if left and right spindles (aside from thread direction) are mirror image. If they are you are in luck and this time use a castle nut and a cotter pin to keep things from shifting. And hire a Dodge mechanic next time. Dodges featured reverse thread on the passenger side for many years too and may still to this day.
        Did you say 'driver's side'. In that case the Tech owes you a spindle.

Comment

why wouldnt you be able to use the oppistie side just because of the thread?

Comment

What year is yours? Does it have a stake nut (where you stake the outer edge of the nut into a groove in the axle), or is it a later model with a castellated sheetmetal piece that fits over a solid nut, and is held in place with a cotter pin?

My daughter's '88L (with stake nut) had an opposite-side axle that she drove for years that way. The only thing was we had to stake the nut from underneath. Always intended to change the axle but never did. If you do have stakenut axles, best would be to replace them with the type that take cotter pins.

Comment

its a 91 can get passenger spindle with cotter from 93 at junkyard

Comment

vinelandidiot13, yes you can use the opposite side spindle, they are the same BUT as others have said, the rotation of the nut is what is different, you will need to remember what rotation the spindle is, or when you go to work on the car next time, the problems will start again. The 93 spindle is a good way to go, no more pinch nuts, I have drilled all of my spindles and fitted them with cotter keys and nuts from donor Aspire cars, the cotter key kit can be bought from part stores that sell Help products. Good luck
                An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Originally posted by vinelandidiot13 View Post
                  its a 91 can get passenger spindle with cotter from 93 at junkyard
                  Jump on this and grab the left and right spindles. The expedient stake nut business obviously never was a smart thing or it wouldn't have been discontinued in 93 in favour of going back to castellated (or castle or whatever) nut and cotter pin arrangements that have been around almost as long as horses drew wagons.

Comment

Surprised to read sides are interchangeable given the emergency brake lever is at the front and the cylinder is at the top?
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

i am asking about the spindle being interchangeable not the backing plate

Comment

Working...
                      X