Stripping one out - a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripping one out - a few questions

'91 LX or L+ (not sure which - the hatch was swapped before I got it.) I've had this one for over a decade, but now it has to go. It was hit hard on the left side between the door and quarter, so that side's shot, but otherwise it's a fairly low-rust vehicle, which is why I haven't cut it up before. When I get to the floor pan I'll pay close attention and save at least the driver's section if that seems warranted.

Anyway, a couple esoteric questions. 1) How do you remove the base to the brake lamp in the center of the hatch? It looks like a cap ought to pop off, to reveal attaching bolts, but it doesn't seem to want to pop off. 2) Is it possible to remove the door window wipes - the rubber strips on either side of the top of the door? 3) Once I get to it, I'm assuming that it won't be hard to get the rack&pinion out, once the engine/trans are gone, but any tips on that would be appreciated too.

Also, any tips on removing a windshield? I thought this one had a crack in it, but now I don't see it. Same thing with the hatch glass. The hatch itself is junk, but I thought I'd save the glass.

(Update: this thread re. the windshield seems helpful: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...shield+removal )
    Last edited by Pgh5spd; 07-23-2014, 09:32 PM.

The third brake light cover slides off. The door weatherstrip is held on with little plastic reainers about every 7". Be careful not to tear the rubber. take off one at a time and work your way around. Windshield needs a tool to release the molding retainers, then piano wire in order to cut it out. Rear hatch glass can be carefully pushed out starting in one corner. Rack and pinion, only four bolts once both ends are free.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 07-23-2014, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Thx! Is the windshield molding retainer tool something that's specific to Festivas or in general circulation in a glass shop (& so might be available at AutoZone/PepBoys)?

Comment

Just a general trim tool like this.

Comment

Great, thanks!!

Comment

Managed to get the windshield moldings off using a glazing tool like this - http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...61349892lg.jpg I'm still not sure I understand how those clips hold the molding on, tho. And it turned out that one molding had a stone impact which had chipped the windshield underneath it. As expected, it cracked from that point when removing it, but at least I got some practice. And I got the door wipes off, too, but only after turning the thing upside down and looking down into the door to figure out where and what I needed to press. Clearly not something designed to ever be removed, but while doing it I could hear an old friend of mine saying, "I take great pride in fixing things that were designed not to be fixed."

Comment

Working...
            X