Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know what voltage the ignitor trigger should be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know what voltage the ignitor trigger should be?

Hi 'ya folks,

Some of you folks may recall the B3 powered Miata I built a few years ago, well now I'm putting together an engine dyno to validate performance and MPG mods on the B3 engine.
    As usual I will share my research with this forum.

This dyno is going to use both the stock Festiva distributor and will also be set up to run the hybrid coil pack system. Because of space issues, my project car has never actually run with a stock Festiva distributor. furthermore I'm using a Megasquirt as an ECU so I basically have no reference on what the stock Festiva ignitor signal voltage single should be.

The ignitors are pretty rare in my neck of the woods and I would prefer to not burn it out by hitting it with too high of a voltage.

Can anyone help?

Jim

I have no useful info, but I just had to say that's awesome!

Mad tite front pulley and belt setup. What's the crank one from?
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Thanks!

The engine is built from bits and pieces of three different engines.

The block is from a '94 aspire
      The pulleys and alternator are also '94 aspire
      The intake manifold is 93 Festiva.
      The exhaust is from an Aspire
      The cam is an Aspire roller
      The distributor is from a Festiva
      the oil pan and motor mounts are from a 1.6 Miata engine

You cant see it, but the engine is mated to a Miata transmission. The transmission is coupled to a heavy duty pump to provide the load.

jim

Comment

If you can't get the specs here I'd try the manufactuer. Borg-Warner made the one I have. I dealth with them on the wiring to connect to the DIS tester and found them helpful. Borg-Warner is now called BMD Corp. or something similar. Good luck.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

LoL, I guess I answered my own question a few years ago in another thread.

Looks like the signal is 5 Volts.

Anyway, I'll keep you folks in the loop once the dyno is up and running.

Jim

Comment

Working...
          X