No announcement yet.

Dying After I turn on the Headlights!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying After I turn on the Headlights!!!

Alright, the B3 starts up and idles fine. However, it dies after about 2 minutes of turning on any accessory (dome light, headlights, anything). Also, it dies right away if I turn the A/C on. Revving keeps her alive, but she's stating to die at stop lights (unless it's the day and all of the accessories are off).

Alternator and battery have been checked and are fine. PCV was gummed up and I changed it out, didn't help much.

Common to the festiva world? THANKS GUYS!

Idle air control valve? It lives on the intake near the brake booster. A two wire electrical connector, two large air hoses and two small coolant hoses connect to it.
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I would check/replace the battery cables as well, both POS+ and GND-.
      Sometimes they look fine but have internal corrosion. It can make it do funny and strange things.
      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I have some new battery cables I can pop on (thanks for the advice blkfordsedan), but to be completely honest....I was thinking idle control valve as well crazyrog17. Everything looks fine on it, replace it all??

Comment

The IAC can be getting pluged up and need cleaned, or pull the Black plug off the top of the IAC and adjust with screw driver, this will change the idle. If there is anything you don't understand or need more help, just give a shout and good luck.
          An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

does it start back up fine?
            I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Thank you sc72! Will do!

Fastiva - needs a little but of gas pumping to get her going again, but it goes back into idle faster.

Comment

Turn the idle screw up a tad
                1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Well, if yours is an '88 with a carb, that should eliminate the IAC. Turning on the dome light or even the radio should not put enough load on the alternator/battery for the engine to even notice. It sounds electrical to me. I would also check/replace all the fuses.
                  Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                  04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                  62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                  Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Long legged cartridge fuses replace the stock fusible links easily. Located on the drivers side shock tower, they can appear fine but be corroded or burnt out inside. 30-40-30 amp free at PnP junkyards
                    -Zack
                    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I have a 90 LX, but I'll be throwing a few of these suggestions at the wall and seeing if anything sticks! Thank you guys!

Comment

Originally posted by DrFestiva88 View Post
                        Alternator and battery have been checked and are fine.
                        Was the alt checked under load?
                        I had the same problem with my old alt, it checked good too, but when I put in a NEW alt, the lights no longer dimmed, and idle remained fine.
                        I'd re-visit the alt
                        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Working...
                        X