Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throttle Position Sensor, (TPS) Quick question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Position Sensor, (TPS) Quick question!

Hey guys, I have a quick question about my tps sensor. When I replaced my valve cover gasket I noticed that tps was in the way from removing valve cover, so (being a total newb) I loosened the bolts and pulled on it trying to clear a path for cover. Couldn't get it to budge, so I decided to grab my manual to see what in the heck the little black box was anyway, prob should have done this first, I know. So I find out that it's position is critical and that I may have screwed up by loosing the bolt. I don't think It moved at all.
    I managed to just remove the throttle body and all was smooth after that. Once it was all back together the engine ran like crap, but it was from the since I received it recently as it has been sitting for six years with old plugs and gas. I managed to remove the old gas today and install new plugs. I discovered that one of the plugs was unhooked. She's been running on 3 cylinders! Got the battery on the charger and I will turn the key in a few hours and........ I'm hoping for the best. Just wondering if I may have messed up with loosening the tps, pretty sure that it didn't move, but..... any thought, prayers, comment's, words of wisdom, will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - I haven't touched the car in a while until yesterday, went to get the title transferred and got my tag. I'm ready to roll!!
    P.P.S.- Once I get it running smooth that is!!

Your fine. If I remember correctly, the TPS on these is not like those on newer cars. It's not really critical of an exact position. It's very simple.....really only distinguishes 2 positions; idle and WOT.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Oh....and you can pull the valve cover without removing anything. You just need to turn the motor over by hand to get the rocker arms in the correct position.
      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Thanks Brian! I appreciate the quick response. I'm going to fire it up and see how she is, should be better since only had three plugs plugged in. They were super rich too!

Comment

Put your location in your profile, you might have someone near by you who could lend a hand.

Need a report an how its running.
          Might want to consider changing the fuel pump filter in the tank, if it sat for 6 years.
          Hope you flushed the tank before firing it up.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I actually did replace the fuel pump and the sock. First thing I did actually, the old pump was locked up. I did go out and try it and strangely it ran the same. I put in fresh gas, replaced the spark plugs and did find one unplugged, was sure that was why it was running like crap.
            It actually runs the same as before. The plug wires are going to be replaced soon and I have a new distributor cap and rotor to install. It just barely will idle and runs as if it's missing.

Comment

This is what the old gas looked like, didn't even smell like gas!

Comment

She left me stranded in the yard, lol. I wasn't about to hit the road the way she's running. Can't wait though!! Battery is dead and had to be jumped is reason I was stranded. Went for a front yard lap and put on brakes and she stalled.

Comment

Since it's not the TPS, I will start a new thread for the idle issue, thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                  X