Rough idle and frequent stalling!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough idle and frequent stalling!

For a quick recap, I have a 91 ford festiva that had been sitting for six years, previous owner. First I replaced fuel pump and sock, and drained tank. Put in fresh gas and it runs but like it's missing and smoking really bad, at first. I replaced the plugs and they are black. I did find one boot unplugged and was sure that it would run smooth next time I started it, but..... NO! It ran the same, strange. I did move it around the yard today and when I put it in gear I can rev it and suddenly it engages and moves, it's automatic so I'm hoping that it just needs new transmission fluid. Like I said it sat for six years, hope that is the problem there. This car belonged to my mother in-law and it ran like a champ, at least before she parked if for six years after she got a new car. If anyone can help me on what to check I'd really appreciate it. I will be installing new plug wires, and have a new dist. cap and rotor to put on as well.

My car idled like garbage when it had a vacuum leak. Maybe a mouse or something chewed a hole in vacuum line.
    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
    95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Thanks for that input, Chobobulous. I was thinking of looking for vacuum leaks tomorrow. Also think I could remove the throttle body and clean it. I did loosen the TPS, but pretty sure it didn't move, was told that it would not affect the idling. I had my suv stall recently every time I stopped and the throttle body was really dirty.

Comment

I unbolted my tps also on accident. I wanted to throw the throttle body in chemtool. I quickly realized it didn't come off and just took care to line up the crap on the housing with the bolt holes and I haven't had a problem.
        91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
        06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

I did recently change my valve cover gasket and remove my throttle body because I couldn't get the cover off as it was in the way. Didn't even check to see if it was dirty at the time. Also I reused the old gasket because I didn't tear it up. Just ordered a new gasket as I believe that It could be getting an air leak if the gasket isn't sealing properly. I'll clean it and install the new gasket.

Comment

Unrelated but wanted to mention that as it was idling i noticed that the crankshaft pulley had a slight wobble to it. Should I be concerned. I will be replacing that belt soon, eventually a crankshaft seal too. Did something fly up and hit it, is this common, dosen't seem to be very bad.

Comment

Could be many things at work.

One thing I have found is a slipping belt (Which tend to stretch after a few years sitting) to the alternator can cause some hiccups. Make sure it's tight, and if tightening it makes any difference. If it does, try a new belt.

Edit - Actually read that. Yeah, I would check your gasket for sure. Especially if it ran fine before the removal.
              Last edited by SiliconSoul; 07-30-2014, 12:49 AM.
              - Form should follow function...

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
                I unbolted my tps also on accident. I wanted to throw the throttle body in chemtool. I quickly realized it didn't come off and just took care to line up the crap on the housing with the bolt holes and I haven't had a problem.
                This is easy to do, you just need a voltmeter to properly set it. As you move the TPS on the elongated holes (after loosening the bolts) it will change the voltage according to its position. I use some common clothing pins with alligator clip connectors to the voltmeter. You just set one way to "off" (Closed throttle body) and one way to "on". (Wide open TB) The fancier ones measure everything in-between like a wide band 02 sensor. I don't know the specs for the low an high you need offhand, but just do a search

Comment

I would do a compression check on all cylinders before putting a bunch of money in it for new parts. If it has a dead or weak cylinder, it won't matter what you do. The auto trans issue would be my next point of attention.
                  Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                  04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                  62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                  Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Sounds very logical Brian, and thanks. The condition of the engine and trans were great at the time it was parked before it sat for six years. I'm hoping that maybe the trans fluid has deteriorated to the point that new fluid will take care of that situation. I'm hoping it's something simple like a cracked or unhooked vacuum line, or dirty throttle body causing the bad idle. I'll look at it as soon as I get home and see what I can find.

Comment

I would really look underneath the Distributor cap for something that would cause the engine miss(along with a cracked vacuum hose). And I would pull the transmission pan and replace the O-ring that seals the pick up tube for the filter.Don't rev the engine in gear if the car wont move.Really try not even let it idle much without pump pressure.
                      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Thanks nirtofarm! Good advice!!
                        The hesitation with the trans. is minimal. It does drive ok. When I switch from Park to Drive it hesitated for a second and then jerked into motion and off I went. Just want to be clear that it does move and drive ok, just had a hesitation at first. Can you tell that I know nothing about transmissions yet? I'm really just hoping that it's because of the six year old trans fluid. Also keep in mind that I just moved it around my driveway too! Going to change all fluids, just trying to get the engine running smooth.
                        Im thinking of checking vacuum leaks, and cleaning throttle body and IAC.

Comment

Gotcha,sounded like you where revving it like Hells Bells and it wouldn't move :thumbs_up:
                          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by kevyrev View Post
                            Thanks nirtofarm! Good advice!!
                            The hesitation with the trans. is minimal. It does drive ok. When I switch from Park to Drive it hesitated for a second and then jerked into motion and off I went. Just want to be clear that it does move and drive ok, just had a hesitation at first. Can you tell that I know nothing about transmissions yet? I'm really just hoping that it's because of the six year old trans fluid. Also keep in mind that I just moved it around my driveway too! Going to change all fluids, just trying to get the engine running smooth.
                            Im thinking of checking vacuum leaks, and cleaning throttle body and IAC.
                            Sorry to ask again if it's already been mentioned, but have you checked the fluid level?

Comment

So today after work I stopped and got some throttle body cleaner and did the deed. No improvement, so I'll check that off the list. I do have a new gasket coming to replace the throttle body gasket since I removed and reused the old gasket.
                              I did however unhook the vacuum line that sits on top of the throttle body as it was idling and it did help out some. Sounded much better unplugged, reinstalled vacuum line and and it suffers and almost dies. Does this tell anybody anything or.... This may be unrelated but when I cleaned the gunk from my valve cover baffle at the pcv are, everything was clogged including old pcv valve, the hose that goes from valve into manifold, and deep inside was plugged with black gunk. Could I have blocked passages inside there, this may be unrelated...

Comment

Working...
                              X