Shift Lock System Emergency Override

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Lock System Emergency Override

I just discovered what the problem is with my car. Kind of. My #19 ROOM fuse is blown as is my #3 MAIN fuse. Checked all components and with lots of concentration and reading my included Ford Owners Manual I also figured out my Shift Lock System Emergency Override had been engaged. What should I do this is where I've become lost! Please help! 1996 Aspire 1.3L
    I can do anything you can do better! At least by the time I'm done...

Go to a junkyard and pull out all of the fuses and fusible links from another Aspire.
    Practice enabling and disabling the shift lock override at the junkyard. Then go home and fix your car.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 08-03-2014, 10:54 PM.

Comment

That would be so much faster if there was a yard in my town that would part those out to me. We have a you pull it salvage yard of course but being that I am of the FEMALE population, the man that owns it turns me away repeatedly. Four different makes/models of vehicle he has told me he has none of when I can see them from the office. Can you tell me what vehicles are interchangeable for this or preferably a fuse box not a fusible link setup? I can have my dad hit the you pull it in Phoenix while he's there. Also can you tell me how to disable the override system so I can practice this? I've never had a car that had an override that I had to mess with let alone one already engaged. Thank you

Comment

Hey I don't live far from you at all. Welcome to the forums.
        91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
        06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

WOW!!! Hi neighbor!!!
          There are Festivas out there???
          I checked a while back but there wasn't anything... (If I remember correctly...)
          On the Festiva, by the shift lever, is a small, what looks like a slide switch, that you can move to get the shift lever out of park.
          I don't remember how it connects.
          (Last time I was in there was about 7 to 8 years ago...)

Comment

Thanks! I got lucky this 96 Aspire came from AZ everything original 127000 miles and I just figured it out! Lol the previous owners hit a bump on I40 between our exits and the battery cable was so corroded the connection interrupted and surged one the reconnect so I'm fixing all that. But now I need to know how to disengage the emergency override cause I can move the shifter without the brake pushed in. Haven't put power to the car yet but I've never had a car with this feature. Mine was a button you have to remove and push a long screwdriver down in the hole vertically.

Comment

Working...
            X