Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil catch can for blow-by install

hello all,
    so heres whats going on i have oil shooting on top of valve cover and in carb where air filter is and its leaking everywhere. i think the rings are worn on it.Its also leaking down thru air intake i have to put oil into it sometimes cuz it gets low i thought maybe i can hook up a oil catch can to catch the oil shooting out all over.Can anyone give me direction or guide me to hooking up the oil catch can on a carbed 88 festiva i would apreciate the help.

Just a suggestion but plug the drain hose into the PC valve and plug the PC valve hose?
    The blowbuy pressure would come out the top of the valve cover and drain into your can. Would that do it?
    Never pass an emissions test that way, though, or clean up the environment.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

One cheap and easy way to do it is to add a Fram G3 fuel filter to your PCV hose. They fit 3/8" hose and handle boost all day. Grab a couple feet of emissions hose for both ends and some hose clamps from your local hardware store.
      1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Aaronbrook you are amazing. Thank you.
        91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
        06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
          Aaronbrook you are amazing. Thank you.
          Don't thank me... thank the local auto parts store. The counter staff recommended it as a quick fix to my issues, and then sold it to me with free installation right in the parking lot since I didn't have any tools on me!

Comment

Oh and another thing while we're on the topic. For anybody running boost wanting to retain the factory PCV system without fear of crankcase issues, you'll want to run a 3/8" high pressure one-way check-valve between the PCV and intake manifold port. They're cheaper and more available than metal "boost-ready" metal PCV valves from the turbo cars in the 1980s like the Starion/Conquest/Supra. I got mine on Ebay for under $10 shipped.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
              Oh and another thing while we're on the topic. For anybody running boost wanting to retain the factory PCV system without fear of crankcase issues, you'll want to run a 3/8" high pressure one-way check-valve between the PCV and intake manifold port. They're cheaper and more available than metal "boost-ready" metal PCV valves from the turbo cars in the 1980s like the Starion/Conquest/Supra. I got mine on Ebay for under $10 shipped.
              Not to thread jack but the plastic one doesn't hold up well or?
              95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Not to thread jack but the plastic one doesn't hold up well or?
                It does okay under vacuum, but I've had one fail on me repeatedly under hard driving/boost.

Comment

If it has a lot of blow-by, it will astound you at how much oil will accumulate in the catch can. A fuel filter will work, but once it fills up, it will plug completely. Then the pressure buildup will blow oil out every gasket. A catch can is designed to accumulate the oil while allowing it to breathe. Plus, it has a level sight tube and can be drained....which will need to be done frequently.

I suggest buying a $20 catch can off eBay. They work well (it's just a can, LOL). I used on on my '93 and it worked excellent. Just plumb it in the line from the PCV valve to the intake (or air cleaner on a carb'd version). All it does is separate the oil vapor out that passes through the PCV system.....just like a filter.

Oh....and DO NOT dump the drained oil back into the engine!!!!
                  Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                  04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                  62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                  Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                    Oh....and DO NOT dump the drained oil back into the engine!!!!
                    Definitely this... forgot to mention!

Comment

thanks everyone for the help. does any one have like a picture diagram on how to do this or a link to a video. i already bought a catch can from ebay it came with a hose, clamps and a double side barb with one side plugged Here. im not sure how to hook it up correctly. or if someone can walk me thru it step by step i would appreciate it very much thanks everyone for the info you guys gave so far

Comment

Heres a pic of mine installed. The original PCV hose runs from the PCV valve to a port on the intake manifold. If yours is a carb, I'm guessing it attaches into the air cleaner housing. Keep in mind, the can is nothing more than a filter designed to separate fluid from air, in whatever line it is installed. If there is a fresh air inlet hose that runs from the valve cover to the air cleaner, you could be getting oil from there as well. I don't know how the carb models are set up.
                        Last edited by blkfordsedan; 08-08-2014, 11:03 AM.
                        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

Heres a pic of mine installed. The original PCV hose runs from the PCV valve to a port on the intake manifold. If yours is a carb, I'm guessing it attaches into the air cleaner housing. Keep in mind, the can is nothing more than a filter designed to separate fluid from air, in whatever line it is installed. If there is a fresh air inlet hose that runs from the valve cover to the air cleaner, you could be getting oil from there as well. I don't know how the carb models are set up.
                          Did your throttle body only have one vacuum port coming out the top? Mine has 3 or 4. Weird.
                          95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Did your throttle body only have one vacuum port coming out the top? Mine has 3 or 4. Weird.
                            Yeah, just one. I used the factory B3 throttle body when I did the B6 swap. The B6 unit had 3 or 4 ports. They're the same size, so it was just easier to use the B3 unit.
                            Brian

Comment

Yeah, just one. I used the factory B3 throttle body when I did the B6 swap. The B6 unit had 3 or 4 ports. They're the same size, so it was just easier to use the B3 unit.
                              Oh. I needed a couple more so it worked out. Nice engine btw.
                              95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X