X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Bad is it? Control arm broke, pulling out cv joint

1991 Festiva GL
    Manual

I recently put new struts and tie rods on my festy. I was going to get an alignment later that day but before I could get there disaster. The pin where the control arm connects to the knuckle bent and released itself from the knuckle. This led to the wheel going cockeyed which pulled out the CV joint. Car has 150k on it but the boots on the CV look good and not nearly 150k old.
    I'm wondering if I pop the CV joint back into the tranny then get a new control are do you think Ill be alright?
    Most of the other parts look good and the strut tower is still at the same angle (reversed) as the other side.
    Very broke right now so I was thinking a 30 dollar control arm would be ideal and thats my first option.

2nd option
    Get new control arm and a new knuckle for good measure. Would most likely go to aspire knuckles and brakes if thats the case

3rd option
    Its fucked worse than I though and I pick up another cheap festy and keep this one for parts. Really want to avoid this as Ive done extensive aero mods and through a popup camper on it. It was about two weeks away from being titled as a RV under MI law (looked into converting a school bus to RV, thats a couple years down the line)

Im wondering if this popping out could have caused any damage to the tranny. Won't move for since the wheels are facing different ways. Correct me if I'm wrong, it needs both CV axles in place to create any torque though?

IMG_1263.jpg IMG_1251.jpg

Also anybody in the west michigan area who could lend a hand will be compensated and greatly appreciated.

Comment

I would say your fine to just replace the control arm and replace any trans fluid that may have leaked out when the axle popped out. I dont think.you can damage the knuckle, if anything the pinch bolt would break.
      Last edited by Hot_Wheels; 08-14-2014, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
        I would say your fine to just replace the control arm and replace any trans fluid that may have leaked out when the axle popped out. I dont think.you can damage the knuckle, if anything the pinch bolt would break.
        My thoughts exactly. Replace the lower control arm and the pinch bolt, pop the axle back in, refill the transmission and you should be good to go.
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

My worn control arm separated at the ball joint and pulled the axle out of the transmission on a slow turn out of a parking lot. The towtruck driver pushed the axle back into the transmission. At home I jacked up the car and replaced the control arm. The axle and transmission were fine. I'd go ahead and replace the control arm and top up the transmission fluid. Should be fine.

PS If you want photos look for a thread with subject "Repair Photos and Videos" in this forum.
          Last edited by WmWatt; 08-14-2014, 12:19 PM.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Heh. I had a rusty strut snap about a year ago. Axle pulled out. Literally in the process of pulling it on the trailer, the axle popped itself back in. Replaced strut, refilled trans and all good.
            White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
            White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
            1988 LX 5-speed
            ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

Awesome thanks for the advice. Managed to find the only control arm in stock in all of west Michigan today so hopefully I can get this done this weekend. Only problem is its broke on a slightly incline to my driveway. Only like a 8 inch drop between the wheels but I can move it since the wheels are jamming.
              Its has some cinderblocks keeping it in place on the rear wheels but I think Im going to tie a tow strap to it and another car to make sure it doesn't slip out. It's a lil dicey but since its so light it should be fine.

Comment

Also couldn't get a new pinch bolt, I was thinking of just using the old one for now until I can get another one shipped here.
                Or I might go to a store with bulk hardware and see if I can get a similar bolt in a automotive grade steel.

Comment

The pinch bolts are specific to their application. I don't think you can use a regular bolt.

I'm still trying to figure out what bent. Are you talking about the actual ball joint "stud"?

Also might wanna edit your post and remove your F bomb, there's a language rule here.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Go to the junk yard and get a pinch bolt from a Kia Rio there just like what the festiva had.
                    You could possibly even get a new one from kia.

Comment

Thanks Ill search for a kia rio pinch bolt.

Bhazard It is the stud to the control arm that is bent. The part that connects to the knuckle. I had heard some clunking the past week and couldn't figure out where it was coming from, now I know.

Also I tried to edit my post but can't, went to the FAQs and searched. I believe the function may be turned off for some reason, it said mods have that ability. I would be thankful if a mod could my setting or change the first post in the thread not to say the f bomb. Sorry I won't do it again.
                      (P.S. I was able to Edit this post but not the one that started the thread?)
                      Last edited by vivamifestiva; 08-14-2014, 07:08 PM. Reason: Testing

Comment

I believe there's a time limit on edits
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost
                        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Working...
                        X