Rear strut/shock replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear strut/shock replacement

Next order of business for my little Festie! The rear struts are pretty bad. The boots are gone and the rear end is pretty bouncy, so it is time. I know not what I am looking for or where to find the best deal. Input please. I know when I replaced my other kids struts they came complete with shock, mounts, boots, and everything. When I did a quick search I could not find the same kind of thing available for the Festie.

I am seeing 3 different pieces that I will need.. The strut, the boot and the mounting kit?? Anyone??

Comment

ive not done a strut replacement on mine yet but ive done alot on other cars. that sounds like a good start to me unless your doing a complete replacement and even then i think all your missing is the springs themselves. if your happy with the height of the rear of your car tho id just stick with your original plan.

Comment

I get KYB's from rockauto, also the mount kit for the top bushings etc.

I don't run strut boots, cuz its not rusty around here, I just use the bump stop portion of the stock one over again, with the boot cut off

Comment

I would think if I were going to replace the strut, I would replace everything. Springs and Boots since I am in the upper Midwest..

Comment

How did it go? I am looking at doing my rear suspension struts and mounts. For mine the rear driver side mount seems to not be holding up and is poking into the back panel of the car. What was the overall cost of replacing everything (minus labor)? Also, how would you rate the difficulty of this job?

Comment

I'd replace everything except the spring and do it right. Sand and paint the spring while you're at it, too. I like to use Rustoleum Rust Reformer as a base, then another Rustoleum paint for color.

I have re-used the two upper rubber donut thingys. If you do, make sure the bottom one has the little ridge sticking up into the hole, so the strut won't move around and rattle against the metal.

If you have skinny 155 or 165 tires, I'd go with the Festiva KYBs from Rock Auto. With wider tires, to clear the lower spring perch, consider Aspire Monroes and/or wheel spacers. The KYB is a better shock; I've had both.

While you're at it, convert to studs! Makes dealing with wheels a lot easier, esp. if you use spacers. For normal short studs, go with the EMPIs:
              with lug nuts: http://www.jbugs.com/product/9533.ht...els-studs-nuts
              without lug nuts: http://www.jbugs.com/product/9516.ht...els-studs-nuts
              Note that they come 5 to a pack, so you need four packs to get the extra one! I just get three sets, then go buy a chrome lug bolt (12mm x 1.5 thread pitch) from a McParts store for the 16th one. Try to get one that takes the same size socket as the lug nuts.

They have sets of four on the JBug website, but I think those are all 14mm.
              Last edited by TominMO; 09-29-2014, 07:00 PM.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by NaturalSelection View Post
                How did it go? I am looking at doing my rear suspension struts and mounts. For mine the rear driver side mount seems to not be holding up and is poking into the back panel of the car. What was the overall cost of replacing everything (minus labor)? Also, how would you rate the difficulty of this job?
                Sticking up through an interior panel? Hopefully your strut tower didn't rust through.
                1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Mine were so rusted I had to "torch" them then use a small pipe wrench and some heat to back the bolts out. Good luck.

Comment

[QUOTE=TominMO;668494]I'd replace everything except the spring and do it right. Sand and paint the spring while you're at it, too. I like to use Rustoleum Rust Reformer as a base, then another Rustoleum paint for color.

I have re-used the two upper rubber donut thingys. If you do, make sure the bottom one has the little ridge sticking up into the hole, so the strut won't move around and rattle against the metal.

If you have skinny 155 or 165 tires, I'd go with the Festiva KYBs from Rock Auto. With wider tires, to clear the lower spring perch, consider Aspire Monroes and/or wheel spacers. The KYB is a better shock; I've had both.

While you're at it, convert to studs! Makes dealing with wheels a lot easier, esp. if you use spacers. For normal short studs, go with the EMPIs:
                    with lug nuts: http://www.jbugs.com/product/9533.ht...els-studs-nuts
                    without lug nuts: http://www.jbugs.com/product/9516.ht...els-studs-nuts
                    Note that they come 5 to a pack, so you need four packs to get the extra one! I just get three sets, then go buy a chrome lug bolt (12mm x 1.5 thread pitch) from a McParts store for the 16th one. Try to get one that takes the same size socket as the lug nuts.

They have sets of four on the JBug website, but I think those are all 14mm.[/QUOTE

I woud NOT go with the Empi studs.
                    I broke 3 tightening the lug nuts.
                    I was using only my hands & lug wrench, notair gun.
                    I replaced them with Gorilla brand studs, more expenseve , but warrented.
                    If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Originally posted by navdoc101 View Post
                      I would NOT go with the Empi studs.
                      I broke 3 tightening the lug nuts.
                      I was using only my hands & lug wrench, not air gun.
                      I replaced them with Gorilla brand studs, more expensive , but warranted.
                      Really? I have never broken a stud. I torque mine to 80 ft-lbs. Maybe you were muscling them?
                      Still, if the Gorillas are better, I agree, go with them. I notice on Amazon they come in three lengths. I would use the short ones on front, then maybe the middle size for a car I needed to put spacers on.
                      Short studs: http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automo...=gorilla+studs
                      If you order lug nuts, make sure they are the tapered kind, not acorn.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Sorry, muscled them?
                        I'm 65 ,& not a weight lifter/strong man. The only weight I lift is my own fat belly.
                        I broke 3 out of 2 packages of 5 each.
                        I didn't use a air wrench or step on a socket & breaker bar, just a 4 way lug wrench.
                        Those are the Gorilla studs I replaced them with, part# 77737S.

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                          If you order lug nuts, make sure they are the tapered kind, not acorn.
                          Should have said tapered, not ball, like on some Hondas/Acuras for instance.

Navdoc, not saying you did anything wrong, just trying to figure out how they broke. Mine have been fine. But from now on if I need to order any, it will be the Gorilla ones.
                          Last edited by TominMO; 09-30-2014, 04:05 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I know your not.
                            The 2 packs I bought; from a VW buggieshop; were defective.
                            They were hollow in the middle.
                            I just will not trust them again.
                            the 4 packs I had installed in the OEM Festy suspension were fine.
                            The 2 packs I got for the Aspire swap were not. they only had 2 packs when I went to buy for the Aspire suspension.

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Working...
                            X