1988 Ford Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Ford Festiva

I changed the alternator a while back and after I installed it the car was idling and it just quit (it had been running great until that point). I wondered if it was the alternator so I put the old one back in and no change. I adjusted the carburetor so it would idle at least but with mixed results. I bought a carb kit for it but I decided to check the fuses and noticed the 10a engine fuse was blown. I put another one in and it blew as soon as it started. any ideas what to look for? any help would be appreciated. thanks

welcomsignYou definitely need this wiring diagram to locate the short circuit. The fuse block is on page 7.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 08-16-2014, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I just went underneath the car and unplugged the black plug and put in a new fuse and it ran normal. as soon as I plugged it in it blew. this car idled great before I changed the alternator. I am going to take the alternator in and have it checked and maybe get a new one.

Comment

Make sure the fusible links under the hood aren't shorting out too.

Also check and clean any harness-to-chassis ground points you can find-

The only time my 88 festiva EVER went sour I tried several solutions to the running rough and finally found it was simply the PLUG WIRES, after getting the car into a realy dark place- cause I could hear a little ticking like a short-
        and figured I could better find the source in the dark
        the wires looked like Dr. Frankensteins lab, with current jumping between them and onto bare metalk- they actually GLOWED-RUIDD:

I wrapped the wires in electrical tape which pretty much smoothed it right out until I got new wires on-

and the only other time it failed me was when the battery died-

I did however have the alternator replaced at about 200,00 to 230,000 it must've been - and didn't do it myself.

Don't know much about the alternator but I guess it too needs to be grounded- so check that maybe.
        Last edited by harpon; 08-18-2014, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X