Clutch Shudder when "cold"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Shudder when "cold"

88 LX, carb'd 5 speed. I typed it as "cold" bc it only happens when I first start it. It's by no means cold outside, haha. Anyway, it just started doing this today. It shudders starting out in first gear but seems to go away after a few miles. The clutch is only a little over a year old Could this be just a clutch problem or could it come from a mount? I', guessing since it goes away, its probably from the clutch. Also, how many tranny/motor mounts are in these cars? And where are they? I know of the one that mounts to the shock tower and the one at the bottom front of the car (which on mine looks like crap). Thanks!

There are actually 2 tranny mounts, and 1 engine mount, for a total of 3 mounts.
    The 2 tranny mounts are both on the the tranny and bolt to the crossmember on the drivers side. One on front, as you mentioned, and one on the rear of tranny.
    The engine mount, also you mentioned, is on the pass shock tower
    Stick your head down under and behind the front driverside wheel. Look towards the rear of the crossmember, close to the tranny, and you should see a mount attached to both crossmember and tranny. It has 2 bolts that go through it. That is the rear tranny mount.
    Last edited by drddan; 08-29-2014, 01:34 PM.
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

A test for loose motor mounts is to rock the car by switching between 1st and reverse gears. Another is to stomp momentarily on the gas while driving. Listen and feel for any lurching of the engine on it's mounts. By feeling I mean through the seat of your pants and other parts of your body in direct contact with the vehicle.

I get clutch chatter on my '89 4-speed. It comes and goes with the weather and seasons. When it's around I pull away from a stop gradually easing out the the clutch pedal so as not to stress the clutch and make it chatter. Been that way for a years. I drive like an old lady.
      Last edited by WmWatt; 08-29-2014, 07:35 PM.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

My 90 has been doing this for the past 7k miles. I contributed it to the clutch going out. (Not much left on the clutch pedal)

I drive the piss out of it, and enjoy every mile! Until it quits, I'll see you in my wide angle rear view.
        1990 Festiva L

Comment

Working...
        X