1993 Mercury capri no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 Mercury capri no spark

I know that this is not a Festiva or an Aspire but am hoping for help or to be directed to where I can get help The other day 50 feet up the drive way it quit Up to this time every so often it would not even turn over unless I moved the wiring harness near the battery (main one) then it would start and run so I am thinking my problem is there
    I have a 1993 Mercury Capri Non turbo no spark can anyone tell me where to start with trouble shooting this any suggestions would be appreciated on this or possibly a site where I could get an answer Thanks Conard

Check all your ground connections for tightness. Remove them and clean thoroughly with a wire brush then re-connect. Also clean and reconnect both battery terminals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
    “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

^ start there , reading the last part gets me confused is it not cranking or not sparking if no spark is it sparking for the coil and not out of the distributor? If so check icm or pick up inside the distributor.
      Mine went out at 200 something thousand but I see it's a common problem with these as they get some age on em.
      Good luck!

Comment

Sorry I was not clear It cranks fine I used my spark tester and I am not getting spark at the plugs. One thing I notice however is that the cooling fan would always come on as I started it now it does not. Thanks am going to look at it further in the AM

Comment

Just a general check for any engine if you have no spark. While cranking, test for voltage at the primary side of the coil. You should have 12V there. If not, work your way back until you find the open circuit.
          "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
          “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

No-spark is a pretty common capri problem. When you crank the car, does the tach needle move or bounce? If not, it's a pretty high probability that the ignitor in the distributor is fried.
            There's also a smaller chance that it's a ground or other electrical issue.

May want to join TeamCapri.com as well
            1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
            High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
            Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

As I have no book can someone post a photo of the icm and ignitor Thanks Conard

Comment

There are scans of the factory service manual on www.tech-capri.com and lots more info on the teamcapri forum
                1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

You must be close to me I am located in Brogue just south of Red Lion Thanks for your help Conard

Comment

Working...
                  X