No announcement yet.

10 Amp Engine fuse on an 89 FI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's really great gunnerw, getting it fixed is what counts! It never quite added up to me. I have to stick with measurements and specs.
    When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Amazing what I just found online googling resistors. I would not have made another post if I had not seen this. You may have heard, as I have, of resistors gaining in value as they age, but not losing resistance. I found some ham radio operators discussing how they go up or down in value as they age. This is the only way this problem makes any electrical sense to me. The main relay coil is good so the engine will crank & run, but the resistor in parallel has lost resistance and is allowing too much current once the motor is running. If the value gets too low it may leave V Reg vulnerable too if it loses its clamping ability. I never dreamed they could do that. This post is for all who like to fully understand these circuits. gunnerw do you still have the old relay? I sure would like to check it out.

Comment

Yes I still have it

Comment

Originally posted by tooldude View Post
          Amazing what I just found online googling resistors. I would not have made another post if I had not seen this. You may have heard, as I have, of resistors gaining in value as they age, but not losing resistance. I found some ham radio operators discussing how they go up or down in value as they age. This is the only way this problem makes any electrical sense to me. The main relay coil is good so the engine will crank & run, but the resistor in parallel has lost resistance and is allowing too much current once the motor is running. If the value gets too low it may leave V Reg vulnerable too if it loses its clamping ability. I never dreamed they could do that. This post is for all who like to fully understand these circuits. gunnerw do you still have the old relay? I sure would like to check it out.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Nitro, I don't know what that is, so much I don't know about this site and computers etc.

Comment

Oops never mind
              Last edited by tooldude; 10-18-2014, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnerw View Post
                Yes I still have it
                Sent you a PM.

Comment

Advance Auto Parts p/n R4169 - $112.99 use coupon TRT30 takes it to 79.00 plus tax

Comment

Working...
                  X