89 Festiva decided to stop working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 Festiva decided to stop working

I recently bought an 89 Festiva w/ 2bbl carb. 4spd manual trans the car had been sitting for about 2 years. I took it home and did some basic work to it (plugs, wires, cap & button) drained the gas tank, flushed the lines and put in some fresh gas. The car ran but would hesitate if you pushed the gas peddle too fast. I was Idling the car in the driveway while checking for leaks when the car started to run very rough. It then died and would not start. I checked for gas shooting inside the carb, checked for spark at the plugs, and even tried some starting fluid. nothing. the spark seemed a little weak and I tested the ignition coil per the repair manual and all readings were within the tolerances. before this incident, the car would start very quickly and had no problems other than the hesitation if pressing the gas to fast. I am looking for suggestions to either problem. of course starting the car is more important than the other but any help on either would be greatly appreciated.

Did you check your spark before or after it stopped running?
    Paul
    91GL
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

I checked it after it stopped running. I actually got it to work. it needed a new ignition Coil. Even though the old coil passed the tests I replaced it and the car runs. I still have the hesitation problem though. the car will not go above 50 MPH and the harder you press the gas, the less power you get.

Comment

Are all your vacuum lines connected?
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

yes the vaccum lines are in supprisingly good shape. as well as being correctly routed

Comment

checked timing lately?

Comment

I usually suggest taking the ignition control module out of the distributor to an auto parts store for testing.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

the gasoline in cars that sit that long can almost solidify. you may need to blow out fuel lines , replace all filters , including the one in the tank and check the tank for gunk. also since this car has a carburetor , it may need to be rebuilt.
                91 u.s. festiva L 189423 mi. GL int. , engine started smoking [sold]
                93 u.s. festiva gl 222000 mi. bad engine , parts car [sold]
                1981 ford F-100 400000+ miles ? , looks rough - runs good
                1963 1/2 Ford Falcon 4 door base model , 106000 original miles , second owners

Comment

I dont know about the hesitation when giving it gas but I had a Festiva once that would not get above 40 miles an hour top speed and the problem was a plugged up catylic converter. I took the converter off and welded in a straight pipe and it was a tiger ready to do 80 - 85 mph.

Steve

Comment

fixed at last

I finally got the car to work properly. seemed to be a combination of old gas gumming the carb and the ignition timing. the label on the hood of the car said to set the timing @ 2 deg BTDC - 1 deg. the Haynes manual says to set it @ TDC. I found the setting in the manual to work better

Comment

Distributor vacuum advances develop leaks and cause vacuum leaks in carbed festivas, not to mention the vacuum advance won't work.

Comment

Posts is 3 months dead zoe, info is nice though

Comment

Working...
                        X