VC Gasket differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VC Gasket differences

Went to slap a new VC gasket on my 87 323, and OMG, it didn't fit! I bought it from Rock Auto and had the correct part #, Fel-Pro VS50309R (R means a revision I believe). Just now double-checked it again. On the box it sez it fits all 88-93 Ford 1.3s and 86-89 Mazda 1.6 (as well as the Ford/Mercury 1.6 from 87-89). Looks just like every other Festy/Aspire VCG I've ever put on. However, the VC on my 87 323 is different; no way does this gasket work (pics below). (Also, for those who don't know, the gen1 323 and gen2 323 1.6L motors had different VCs and VCGs.) Gen1 is 86-89 and has a wavy front edge, above the sparkle plugs; gen2 has a straight front. also see pics below.

All the 87 323 VCGs listed at Rock Auto looked just like my Fel-Pro one.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Where would I get a gen1 323 1.6 VCG that actually fits?

So anyway, here's the pics:

Gen1 323 on left, Aspire on right (Similar but not exactly the same as Festy, and different part #s for Festy and Aspire). Note how the 323 gasket does not include the bolt holes.

Gen1 323 on left, gen2 on right. Note wavy vs. straight front edge.

VC Gaskets. on left from my 323, on right the one Rock Auto sent me.

Last edited by TominMO; 09-07-2014, 05:23 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

That's super weird. I have a Gen 1 b6 and never noticed. I ended up using my b3 valve cover because I had already gone through the hassle of cleaning painting and polishing It.

Edit

Does your b6 valve cover look like the festiva one or does it say Mazda on it?
    Last edited by Chobobulous; 09-07-2014, 05:53 PM.
    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
    95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
      That's super weird. I have a Gen 1 b6 and never noticed. I ended up using my b3 valve cover because I had already gone through the hassle of cleaning painting and polishing It.

Edit

Does your b6 valve cover look like the festiva one or does it say Mazda on it?
      It looks like a Festy one, and does say Mazda. Since the gen1 323 VC and Festy VC are interchangeable.If I can find a B3 Festy Valve cover, I could put that on. Can't use the one off Matthew, it's busy keeping oil inside the motor. I have two spare 323 gen2 valve covers and one Aspire--no help.

Edit: I wonder if I can use an Aspire valve cover, if I get the gasket for it? Might try fitting it to see.

Moral of the story--if you have a gen1 B6, get a Festy valve cover for it! I just put the old one on; it wasn't really bad. A Festy will turn up in the JYs, and I'll have me a valve cover I can use with this new gasket.
      Last edited by TominMO; 09-07-2014, 06:18 PM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I'm am about 15 minutes from the house. Ill check out my b6 cover.

It looks exactly like the festiva one and does not say Mazda on it.
        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Ok here it is. It is not the same as yours.

95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Thanks. Yours looks like a Festy VC.

BTW when putting a Festy VCG on an Aspire VC, the reason it won't work is that at the two center bolt holes, the gasket is thicker on the downward slopes. You could use it on an Aspire VC with just a little trimming there. But that little difference is why Festy and Aspire VCGs have different part #s. I wonder if an Aspire gasket would fit a Festy VC tho? Since it would have only slightly less material at the center bolt holes.
            Last edited by TominMO; 09-07-2014, 06:31 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

That is very strange.

My 89' B6 from a Tracer has the exact same valve cover gasket as the B3. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the first gen B6, and B3 valve covers were identical too. I can only guess maybe you got some weird prototype engine. lol or someone found a valve cover that fits the B6 perfectly, but had a different gasket.
              Last edited by TorqueEffect; 09-07-2014, 06:31 PM.
              1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
              2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
              1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
                That is very strange.

My 89' B6 from a Tracer has the exact same valve cover gasket as the B3. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the first gen B6, and B3 valve covers were identical too. I can only guess maybe you got some weird prototype engine. lol or someone found a valve cover that fits the B6 perfectly, but had a different gasket.
                Well, my VC does say Mazda, and it's the second year for the 323 in the USA. AFAIK everything is original, but I doubt that this is the original VCG since it has 145K miles and 27 years. Shoulda bin a lot more leaking. There was no silicon or other type of sealant on it BTW.

I can't imagine why there would have been different variants of this gen1 VC.

Edit: just did a search on all 1987 Mazdas showing at Rock Auto, including internationally, with motors from 1.1 to 1.6 in the 121 and 323 lines. The 1.1 has a unique VCG, but all the rest look like a Festy one.
                Last edited by TominMO; 09-07-2014, 06:45 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Maybe they were using leftover parts. You did say yours was an 87. Mine was an 89. Lmk if you can't find one and ill sell it to you for pick apart prices plus shipping.
                  95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

My 1st gen B6 is from an 89 and it exactly like the Festiva also ......
                    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
                      Maybe they were using leftover parts. You did say yours was an 87. Mine was an 89. Lmk if you can't find one and ill sell it to you for pick apart prices plus shipping.
                      Thanks, but I'm gonna see how this one is doing. When I replace it I'll use either a Festy VC, since I now have a gasket for it; or get an Aspire VCG and use the spare Aspire VC I have, and keep this VCG for Matthew in the future.

As far as leftover parts, I don't get why this variant would have even been made anyway, and in what country was it used.
                      Last edited by TominMO; 09-07-2014, 07:38 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Aspire VC gaskets look to be similar to Festy but are not compatible. Bolt holes in Festys incorporate an integral grommet and Aspires don't. Good luck with this!

Comment

Working...
                        X