More on Poor Gas Mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
    You only have 4 so far are you running the b6 ecu?
    I just haven't been adding the really terrible fillups. lol

But I am using both a B6 ECU and VAF.
    Last edited by TorqueEffect; 09-09-2014, 04:22 PM.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
      I just haven't been adding the really terrible fillups. lol

But I am using both a B6 ECU and VAF.
      Meh I add them all. Im almost to 100.

Good to know I should get about 35. After my last fix I am at a little above a half tank and at 140 miles so I know the efficiency is improving! Before it was about 100at the half tank mark.
      91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
      06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
      95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

I have to concur with most of the opinion here- you can't really expect a 40 range mpg at 70 and beyond-

I'm an old racing cyclist- and both weight and aerodynamics are crucial in getting more miles with the same energy-

wind resistence increases greatly with higher speeds, while uneeded weight equals less mileage more so in stop and go driving, but all terrain and conditions otherwise.

I've also driven small hatchbacks since the Rabbits of the mid-70's- 35 was the general figure then for the highway-
        but that was agaiin at roughly 60, when the limit was 55, and everyone drove 60.
        The cars were 4 speed, tires were thinner and faster rolling- I recall 155 on the Rabiits I drove

and a 1.8 Rabbit would probably not get over 30 at 70.
        And still the 155 width front wheel drive was getting me over the roads of Indiana in the Blizzard of '78 better than just about anything else out there at the time!

As the oil companies have gained more and more control over the entire corporate landscape, including the car manufaturers I believe-
        We've then seen an ongoing emphasis on power and speed, and weighty gadgetry
        and items that might as well be your taxes- like O2 sensors: 1, 2 3 times more! Ridiculous pieces of garbage!
        and much much morte auto racing thrown at us-

all sponsored by those people keeping us especially safe- the Insurance companies.

Cars are kept expensive and weighty, and more and more automatics that belly-up sooner than stay on the road after expensive repairs

And if you have doubts, then the fanaticism of Festy and Geo owners to their high mileged cars should tell you something-

Focus on the Focus- somehow- despite the ever present energy concerns and growing evidence of man made climate changes-

cars GOT BIGGER just as we renewed hostiulities in the Middle East

oh well.

That's why theres still an obession with these earlier cars- at least among those who can keep them viable.
        Last edited by harpon; 09-09-2014, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
          And that brings back memories about why you never sprayed water into your intake air.
          Found out I'm having a kid. Had to switch my priority plans. It's still on the todo list.

One day I'd like to mill 0.01" with same aluminum.

It's a must to have a turned crank and new oil pump. High compression raised hell on the rods with a dry start up. (over night sitting)

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
          Last edited by jason_; 09-09-2014, 05:12 PM.

Comment

I'd try it too. You know I would.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_ View Post
              Found out I'm having a kid.
              First one?

How many Festiva's?

Comment

Working...
              X