1st and 2nd work, Drive, not so much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st and 2nd work, Drive, not so much

I currently drive a 91 Ford Festiva and it's ran great for the past 2 years. But today my transmission started acting strange.
    When I put it in drive I cant get out of 1st, but manually using the 1st and 2nd gears on the gear shift works fine.
    I already checked the transmission fluid, it was low but even after filling it the problem remained.
    Does anyone have any advice on this?
    Last edited by masenj; 09-08-2014, 09:37 PM.

Are you checking the fluid level when the transmission is at operating temperature with the engine running?
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Yes, at temperature in idle it was low, I filled it until full but the problem remains

Comment

Bad vacuum modulator maybe? At least make sure the vacuum hose going to the trans is okay.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I'll give it a look, ill post my findings tomorrow. For now I need some sleep

Comment

If the modulator hose looks good remove it from the modulator and make sure no transmission fluid comes out of the hose. New modulators are adjustable to control kickdown RPM. When kickdown is normal upshift should be fine. The adjustment is a tiny hex inside the nipple and adjusts spring tension in the valve. Other things can cause the same symptoms but are not common.

Just think, the big city tranny shop would be selling you the whole rebuild!!
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
            X