Lifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifters

Apparently, I need new lifters for the Aspire engine I put in the 92 GL.

Are the DNJ lifters from RockAuto any good? Good price for them. I like the Sealed Power lifters, but they are 3X the price!

I think I have heard good about DNJ parts

As usual ...Thanks in advance!!!!!
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Originally posted by drddan View Post
    Apparently, I need new lifters for the Aspire engine I put in the 92 GL.

Are the DNJ lifters from RockAuto any good? Good price for them. I like the Sealed Power lifters, but they are 3X the price!

I think I have heard good about DNJ parts

As usual ...Thanks in advance!!!!!
    The DNJs are in Matthew (put there by Matt D.) and my Aspire. No complaints.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I got a set for mine about a year ago and haven't heard a single tick since. About $50.00 for all of them IIRC.

Comment

Run zink in your oil and this problem will not happen. When the guv forced lead from fuel we lost lots of engines and cars to wrecking yards because valves and seats burned. Now they are going to do it again by removing zink from motor oil. This will send lots more cars and engines to wrecking yards because of cam and lifter failure. All the engines that have decent valve spring pressure and non-roller engines. Almost all new engines are roller lifter and removing the zink has no affect, only older non roller engines. Bunk !!!
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

where do you get "zink for engine oil at"

Comment

does anyone else think the government would be interested in removing zink from oil, for the sole purpose of getting the old vehicles off the road, so they can put us in newer vehicles with more tracking capabilites.

Comment

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
              does anyone else think the government would be interested in removing zink from oil, for the sole purpose of getting the old vehicles off the road, so they can put us in newer vehicles with more tracking capabilites.
              Hmmm .... that is one possibility

Originally posted by Movin View Post
              Run zink in your oil and this problem will not happen. When the guv forced lead from fuel we lost lots of engines and cars to wrecking yards because valves and seats burned. Now they are going to do it again by removing zink from motor oil. This will send lots more cars and engines to wrecking yards because of cam and lifter failure. All the engines that have decent valve spring pressure and non-roller engines. Almost all new engines are roller lifter and removing the zink has no affect, only older non roller engines. Bunk !!!
              Is this an additional additive, added along with the oil?
              Last edited by drddan; 09-12-2014, 11:21 PM.
              Dan

R.I.P.
              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

It is almost done being phased out of on road oil. Diesel rated oil still has it and racing oil is loaded up just like old times.. I think the real reason is even though we eat zink as a vitamin it causes problems in emission systems. Some engines are especially prone to oil consumption. When these engines burn oil the zink if present reduces the catalytic converter performance until they cease to convert anything.

It is bunk because oil burning will eventually become excessive enough to prevent the cat from lighting off anyway. But the argument has been made that to improve air quality we need to put as many of the populace driving older cars into newer cars or better yet the transit system.

Then the same greenies ban management practices to keep wilderness and monument area forests healthy and we are forced to breath forest fire smoke all summer.

You can buy zink in several formulations to add to any oil.
                Last edited by Movin; 09-13-2014, 07:58 AM.

Comment

And this is yet another reason I use Mobil delvac 15w40 in all of my engines from my lawn mower to my '85 GMC with a 6.2.

Comment

'93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

That motorweek read is about right. On engines that use the distributor to drive oil pumps, zink is needed for those gears. Unless you use better than OEM gears. I have been hearing that 1000 ppm is about the lower limit. I disagree about the break in period , my opinion based on failures is that it is critical during break in and needed to prevent excessive wear after.

Comment

Alright! .... Freakin' alright!

I added some ATF the to the oil, on the advice of William, and the lifter SHUT UP!!!!!!! Weeeee Yeah!!!! :mrgreen:
                        Running well and test drove it. Good power and no smoking with the $100 Aspire engine that is in it.

Still has small issues to work out (no temp gauge reading, erratic high idle, etc) But she's on the road again!!!!
                        Last edited by drddan; 09-13-2014, 11:56 AM.
                        Dan

R.I.P.
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

I like this stuff..http://www.zoro.com/i/G5095991/?gcli...FdGCfgods74ASg

ATF has great cleaning properties.

Comment

Zinc. Let's all say it together now, Zinc.

I have no idea what "Zink" is but I'm pretty sure it doesn't belong in your oil.
                            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

My lifters have been extremely noisy lately too.

I think I will put a little bit of ATF in my fresh oil change and see what happens. Just a little though, since of course atf is not formulated to run in a crankcase where it is exposed to blowby gasses.
                              1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                              2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                              1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Working...
                              X