beating my head about a/c fluid capacitys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beating my head about a/c fluid capacitys

ok so the book says to add 5.9oz of oil when replacing the compressor and 1.7 of oil when replacing the evaporator. im installing the whole system with a new evaporator from a donor car. so how much oil do i put where???? AND the enviro-safe cans(http://www.es-refrigerants.com/produ...ir/details.asp) say 3oz the book calls for 25 oz so do i need 8 cans or is the 3oz can equivalent to 12 or 16oz??? this is all very frustrating!! thanks in advanced.

Originally posted by 2jzkilla View Post
    ok so the book says to add 5.9oz of oil when replacing the compressor and 1.7 of oil when replacing the evaporator. im installing the whole system with a new evaporator from a donor car. so how much oil do i put where???? AND the enviro-safe cans(http://www.es-refrigerants.com/produ...ir/details.asp) say 3oz the book calls for 25 oz so do i need 8 cans or is the 3oz can equivalent to 12 or 16oz??? this is all very frustrating!! thanks in advanced.
    You are not alone in your confusion.
    I'm no expert so I can't tell you if all this is by the book, I'm just speaking from personal experience.
    I just finished taking apart and flushing out the AC components on my three Festivas (all have factory air).
    I believe the manual calls for a maximum 10oz of oil throughout the system but I could not get more that 6 oz into the compressor and be able to cycle in manually slowly without it pushing oil out the connection ports.
    I flushed out all hoses evaporator and condenser and replaced the receiver/dryer and expansion valves on all 3 systems.
    I believe the reason it calls for adding oil to the evaporator, condenser and evaporator/dryer when you replace them is because you cannot get the total
    amount of oil needed in the system by just putting it in the compressor and it also needs some oil there at system start up before everything gets mixes up. When you remove these components and flush them out the oil that was coating the inside is removed. Once the rebuilt system get running the oil is distributed throughout all the components and it coats the inside surfaces and gets mixed with the refrigerant so it will lubricate the compressor as the refrigerant and oil mixture flows through.
    Make sure you flush out all the components to get the mineral oil out of the components and use ester oil in the recharged system (I assume you will be charging with R134a). I used PAG oil in the first two I rebuilt but will probably regret it later. If you get too much oil in the system it will reduce the cooling ability of the refrigerant. I believer I got too much in one of the two I used pag oil in. In these, I had poured pag oil into the evaporator, receiver/dryer and condenser in addition to the compressor.
    In my rebuild on my yellow 90L Plus, I poured 6oz of ester oil with uv dye in the rebuilt compressor, just a few drops in the evaporator, condensor and evaporator/dryer.
    I connected everything back up, turned the compressor manually for several turns, pulled a vacuum overnight on the system, then I added a 3 oz can of ester oil charge
    thru the manifold charge line followed by a 12oz can of R134a with the ac system running. Note...be sure to coat your orings with some of the ester oil also.
    So far the system is cooling great with only 12oz of R134a and the 9oz of oil plus the extra few drops that that I added to each component.
    Last edited by 1990new; 09-17-2014, 11:14 AM.

Comment

You are not alone in your confusion.
      I'm no expert so I can't tell you if all this is by the book, I'm just speaking from personal experience.
      I just finished taking apart and flushing out the AC components on my three Festivas (all have factory air).
      I believe the manual calls for a maximum 10oz of oil throughout the system but I could not get more that 6 oz into the compressor and be able to cycle in manually slowly without it pushing oil out the connection ports.
      I flushed out all hoses evaporator and condenser and replaced the receiver/dryer and expansion valves on all 3 systems.
      I believe the reason it calls for adding oil to the evaporator, condenser and evaporator/dryer when you replace them is because you cannot get the total
      amount of oil needed in the system by just putting it in the compressor and it also needs some oil there at system start up before everything gets mixes up. When you remove these components and flush them out the oil that was coating the inside is removed. Once the rebuilt system get running the oil is distributed throughout all the components and it coats the inside surfaces and gets mixed with the refrigerant so it will lubricate the compressor as the refrigerant and oil mixture flows through.
      Make sure you flush out all the components to get the mineral oil out of the components and use ester oil in the recharged system (I assume you will be charging with R134a). I used PAG oil in the first two I rebuilt but will probably regret it later. If you get too much oil in the system it will reduce the cooling ability of the refrigerant. I believer I got too much in one of the two I used pag oil in. In these, I had poured pag oil into the evaporator, receiver/dryer and condenser in addition to the compressor.
      In my rebuild on my yellow 90L Plus, I poured 6oz of ester oil with uv dye in the rebuilt compressor, just a few drops in the evaporator, condensor and evaporator/dryer.
      I connected everything back up, turned the compressor manually for several turns, pulled a vacuum overnight on the system, then I added a 3 oz can of ester oil charge
      thru the manifold charge line followed by a 12oz can of R134a with the ac system running. Note...be sure to coat your orings with some of the ester oil also.
      So far it cooling great with only 12oz of R134a and the 9oz plus the extra few drops that that I added to each component.

Just reread you post and noted that you plan to use envirosafe (a flamable mixture) that can combine with R12. So I guess you will not be flushing your system or changing the compressor or other components. I have no experience with that, so my advice is probably of not much use to you.

(Sorry about the double post...not sure how that happened.)
      Last edited by 1990new; 09-17-2014, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks it is helpful though. My manual says 25 Oz of refrigerant. And my biggest reason for switching to envirosafe is some of my lines are fused up and I can't get them loose to change the o rings.
        Last edited by 2jzkilla; 09-17-2014, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks it is helpful though. My manual says 25 Oz of refrigerant. And my biggest reason for switching to envirosafe is some of my lines are fused up and I can't get them loose to change the o rings.
          Yes, getting the lines loose without ruining the threads on the low side connection to the evaporator is almost impossible.
          I though I was going to have to buy a new evaporator for one of mine, but there were enough good threads left to tighten the connection.
          Mine are all factory units so if yours is not, the capacities may be different. Good luck with getting your air working again.

Comment

25 ounces of R12 equals about 8.3 ounces of Envirosafe it looks like. I have not used this brand yet but if you found 3 ounce cans somewhere 3 of them should do the trick. You will lose a little changing cans it will probably work out about right.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
            X