91 Auto GL died while driving...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 Auto GL died while driving...

Cruising down Rainbow Blvd, and the engine dies, check engine and all other lights come on. Still electrical power. Engine tries to start, but won't turn over. The alternator has been making some funky high pitched sounds in short (maybe 30 sec) intervals. Thinking maybe alternator or starter?

Sounds like alternator. Mine kinda did the same thing. Killed a cell in my battery too

Comment

If it will start and run with a jump, it is most likely a charging system/battery issue.
      Otherwise it is likely ignition or fuel system related.

But it sound like you have already diagnosed the problem based on the alternator
      making noise. To confirm that is definitely the alternator, borrow a battery and
      drive it to a mcauto and have them check it. Looks like you will need a new
      battery also.
      Last edited by 1990new; 09-18-2014, 02:40 PM.

Comment

"Tries to start but won't turn over" I'm confused by this. so is the battery dead and it won't turn over/ crank? Or will it turn over/crank but won't start?

Comment

Sorry, I'm dumb. Cranking but no starting.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. Y'all are the best. Will update.

Comment

Okay so if it's cranks check the basics , check for spark at coil and plug. If you have spark check for fuel .

Comment

Have had a similar problem. Sits for a while and then starts. A used car dealer friend said might be a crank case sensor. ?

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Lang View Post
                  Have had a similar problem. Sits for a while and then starts. A used car dealer friend said might be a crank case sensor. ?
                  Icm come to mind here . After it cools it starts working again.
                  No crank case sensor

Comment

Started up when I got back to it after work. Didn't even make it a quarter mile before the motor dies out, but only for a couple seconds. I gave it some gas and it started going again. Coil and plug wires seemed to be ok. My mechanic friend finagled with them and I was able to get it home.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Lang View Post
                      Have had a similar problem. Sits for a while and then starts.
                      Pretty much what happened this time.

Comment

Happened to me one time my alternator wasnt applying enough force on my belt and after that my alternator was just shot when my car died on me mid-drive

Comment

I had a short coil wire once. It would work loose and cause this problem. Check the coil wire!!

Comment

Working...
                          X