Control arms - brands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control arms - brands?

What's the best brand of control arm? I've heard the Autozone Duralast ones are just Dorman rebranded and are prone to failing. Has anyone tried the ones from Advance Discount Auto Parts? Anyone have any suggestions on past experiences?
    1993 Festiva - White/Black - 5 speed

Moog
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Moog are the best and rockauto.com is the best place to get them.
      Last edited by Team Lightning; 09-18-2014, 08:29 PM.
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

moog is maad

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
          Moog
          These cars are 20+ years old and are 'circling the drain' no matter how hard you try (unless you miraculously happen to live in the no-salt/no-frost south) so buying lifetime guarantee (ie Moog) parts really becomes counterproductive unless you think the vultures at the U-Pull are somehow going to salute you for their being able to grab pennies on the dollar (for them) top of the line stuff and use it to their advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
            These cars are 20+ years old and are 'circling the drain' no matter how hard you try (unless you miraculously happen to live in the no-salt/no-frost south) so buying lifetime guarantee (ie Moog) parts really becomes counterproductive unless you think the vultures at the U-Pull are somehow going to salute you for their being able to grab pennies on the dollar (for them) top of the line stuff and use it to their advantage.
            Yes but the 'el cheapo's are only good for a few months at best. Spending double the money ($50 or so) in total would, for the most part, guarantee they will last the rest of the life of the vehicle. OOOORRRR you can buy the cheapies and replace them a couple times a summer for the rest of the trip "down the drain" easily totaling hundreds of dollars for many-o-members' nicer Festivas.

I'm pretty sure GA in in the rust free belt too iirc.

But then again the original poster wanted to know what the best brand of control arm was. I guess he was really wanting to buy the crappiest set for his pos car that some members on here just never seem to have anything good to say about. But I could be wrong.
            Last edited by Gomez; 09-18-2014, 09:23 PM.
            -Bryant

Comment

Are they really that terrible? The rubber the sway bar good through goes bad

Comment

Get good ones...I worked at Advance and they have crappy ones. Go Moog.
                92 GL, 98k
                77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

Bert, why are you so negative? If you want to use "el cheapo" stuff on your cars, that is your choice. I bought my Festiva with 7 miles on it and have kept it running with "good" parts. It now has 348,900+ miles on it. I prefer to use the good stuff (my choice) and do it once, rather than to use the "el cheapo" stuff and keep doing it again and again. I just rebuilt my front end with all Moog parts except for the Energy Suspension bushings on the sway bar. New struts (KYB) and coil over springs,(Black Magic) on all 4 corners. Yes, it was more expensive to use those brands, but it drives a lot better than before. And No, the other parts were still decent but while I was doing a couple of repairs, it was easier to do it right while I had it torn apart. And Gomez, yes we have rust free cars around here. Right now I have 5 titled cars and one parts shell.
                  Last edited by Team Lightning; 09-18-2014, 10:02 PM.
                  Jerry
                  Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                  90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                  92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                  93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Yeah, go Moog.

Although the Dorman ones I currently have on the car have been on there since March, boots are still 100% intact, so far so good. Now the ones I pulled off that were bad, were not factory, the part number and made in china stamped on in revealed they were also dorman control arms, they were completely shot, but I don't know how long they were on there since they were on the car, and bad when I bought it.
                    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

The Moog boots tend to last longer. But you can make any rubber boot last longer by spraying it a couple times a year with Armor-All.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Moog without a doubt.
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada
                        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

I've got AC Delco control arms, I just put on the 92. We'll see how it goes.
                          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Dang...the resounding answer seems to be Moog. Thanks, guys
                            1993 Festiva - White/Black - 5 speed

Comment

Why use Crap parts where if they fail it could damage your car & you.
                              Good suspension parts are safe parts, don't gamble with your safety.
                              MOOG !
                              If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Working...
                              X