Hard to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to start?

Here recently my festiva has been hard to start and when it does I smell raw fuel. The car runs like a top when it gets going. only think I've noticed recently is a random CEL then right back off and might sputter for just a second.

90 EFI

Possibly O2 sensor.
    Might want to check if any codes are stored.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Make sure your air filter is clean, VAF door moves freely and spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor button are in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
      “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Is it not sparking then flooded when it does start ? Or is something leaking fuel into the engine then it has to clear that out before it starts?
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

May also be the ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) Sensor.

Like Pu241 said, check your codes.
          - Form should follow function...

Comment

Originally posted by SiliconSoul View Post
            May also be the ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) Sensor.

Like Pu241 said, check your codes.
            The only code I got was 19 which is ETC right? But the car hasn't had one since I got it and just now shows problems.

Comment

Yeah... that sounds like how mine went. It degraded internally. Easy fix, just need to remove the air intake silencer and it is right under there between the fuel injectors. Green connector. Careful removing the electrical plug. It has a metal clip that will fly off into the unknown if you are not careful!

I don't see a code 19, but I do get a 09 for the ECT? (Below is a link with the CEL ( Check Engine Light Codes ) posted by Festival)

Comment

Yeah... that sounds like how mine went. It degraded internally. Easy fix, just need to remove the air intake silencer and it is right under there between the fuel injectors. Green connector. Careful removing the electrical plug. It has a metal clip that will fly off into the unknown if you are not careful!

I don't see a code 19, but I do get a 09 for the ECT? (Below is a link with the CEL ( Check Engine Light Codes ) posted by Festival)

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/fo...ifted-to-drive
                Any pictures? or where I could get another one? Also I will check my Haynes but I believe I remember 19 being ECT

Comment

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...e-cure-for-you!

Here is a writeup I did. The part should be available from any auto part store.

Comment

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...e-cure-for-you!

Here is a writeup I did. The part should be available from any auto part store.
                    I disconnected it but nothing changed other than the check engine light being on. The car has always idled kinda rough but that's not what I'm worried about.

Comment

It's best to try doing that when it's hard to start. If it isn't starting and you disconnect it and it does start, that means it is likely bad. And yeah, it will throw the CEL.

If your car is running well it should be noticeable when you disconnect the sensor as it is defaulting to set value. Makes it a little harder to start and bogs it down a touch. Maybe just wait until it is giving you a hard time starting then try it and see if it makes a difference.

I also noticed on my bad sensor that you could turn the top of it by twisting, but the new one was solid and wouldn't turn.

Comment

Working...
                      X