Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulley Help

Hey Guys,

I bought a Rebuilt long block for Tweety and my old crank pulley won't work. The Reman engine has a single crank bolt and narrow keyway. The old engine had a four bolt set-up with a wide keyway. Any ideas on what B6 I bought? Tracer, Lazer, or Aspire!!!!
    The info I gave them when I ordered the engine was 87-88 Mazda 323.

Thanks
    Last edited by hotfordcat; 09-22-2014, 09:11 AM.
    Chuck
    Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
    If money will fix it, it's not broken
    91 GL -Ol' Rusty
    93 GL - Lil Red
    91 L - Tweetystiva
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Gen1 B6s (in 323s and Tracers) were from 1986-89. Aspires didn't ever have the B6. All the 1980s B-series motors were small-nose crank. Maybe they sold you a later gen2 large-nose cranked motor?

Don't know what you mean by a 4-bolt setup. I have a gen1 and a gen2 B6, and they both have a single crank bolt. Maybe you are referring to the four bolts that hold the pulleys on?
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
      Gen1 B6s (in 323s and Tracers) were from 1986-89. Aspires didn't ever have the B6. All the 1980s B-series motors were small-nose crank. Maybe they sold you a later gen2 large-nose cranked motor?

Don't know what you mean by a 4-bolt setup. I have a gen1 and a gen2 B6, and they both have a single crank bolt. Maybe you are referring to the four bolts that hold the pulleys on?
      Yes I was Tom. The pulley I need is single bolt with a narrow keyway ( about 1/8" wide) the pulley I have is single bolt with a keyway about a 1/2" wide.
      Last edited by hotfordcat; 09-22-2014, 09:56 AM.
      Chuck
      91 GL -Ol' Rusty
      93 GL - Lil Red
      91 L - Tweetystiva

Comment

Check your manifolds first . IF they fit just wtb the correct pulley , or pm me I'll hook you up for shipping cost .
        New build on the way .

Comment

OK, let's start by identifying your new motor for certain. I just went out and looked at my two B6s (gen1 and gen2) and two B3s (Festy and Aspire). The ID is between the spark plugs.

Edit: Also, check and see exactly which motor used to be in Tweety.

Festy: B301 (between plug #1 and #2); small-nose crank until Feb 1992, then large-nose
          Aspire: B301 (between plug #2 and #3); all are large-nose crank
          80s gen1 B6: 630 (between plug #1 and #2); small-nose crank
          90s gen2 B6: 61K (between plug #2 and #3); small at first, later large; probably about the same time as Festys changed over

My gen2 B6 might still be small-nose, I'm not sure. Also, all B-series motors seem to have the four bolts holding on the pulleys.
          Last edited by TominMO; 09-22-2014, 10:53 AM.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            OK, let's start by identifying your new motor for certain. I just went out and looked at my two B6s (gen1 and gen2) and two B3s (Festy and Aspire). The ID is between the spark plugs.

Edit: Also, check and see exactly which motor used to be in Tweety.

Festy: B301 (between plug #1 and #2); small-nose crank until Feb 1992, then large-nose
            Aspire: B301 (between plug #2 and #3); all are large-nose crank
            80s gen1 B6: 630 (between plug #1 and #2); small-nose crank
            90s gen2 B6: 61K (between plug #2 and #3); small at first, later large; probably about the same time as Festys changed over

My gen2 B6 might still be small-nose, I'm not sure. Also, all B-series motors seem to have the four bolts holding on the pulleys.

Tom, the motor that I took out of Tweety was the original 1991L B3 small-nose crank. Now the engine ID is a little harder because those heads interchange! Just because we can id the cylinder head doesn't mean the bottom end is the same!!!
            Last edited by hotfordcat; 09-22-2014, 11:02 AM.
            Chuck
            91 GL -Ol' Rusty
            93 GL - Lil Red
            91 L - Tweetystiva

Comment

Originally posted by hotfordcat View Post
              Tom, the motor that I took out of Tweety was the original 1991L B3 small-nose crank. Now the engine ID is a little harder because those heads interchange! Just because we can id the cylinder head doesn't mean the bottom end is the same!!!
              Maybe, maybe not. Rock Auto lists different head gaskets for the gen1 and gen2 B6s. Maybe they modified the oil galleys or coolant passages, or something. All Festys and Aspires use the same head gasket BTW.

So anyway, go out and check what yours is. Besides, I think it's more likely than not that the whole motor was remanned as a unit, without mixing and matching the block and head.

Also, there may be a casting or stamping on the block itself that would nail down whether it's gen1 or gen2. Look for that and let us know what it says, and where it is. EDIT: Look below and to the left of the starter; should be a number stamped there.
              Last edited by TominMO; 09-22-2014, 11:19 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Tom,

The number is 630, and it's a small-nosed crank. I won't be able to check anything else till after work and I can get to my garage.
                Last edited by hotfordcat; 09-22-2014, 11:49 AM.
                Chuck
                91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                93 GL - Lil Red
                91 L - Tweetystiva

Comment

Originally posted by hotfordcat View Post
                  Tom,

The number is 630, and it's a small-nosed crank. I won't be able to check anything else till after work and I can get to my garage.
                  OK, progress. At least they sent you the motor you asked for. So apparently the small-nose B3 and small-nose B6 pulley don't interchange. That seems odd. Does anyone else have any experience with this issue?

Also, can anyone confirm that you can or cannot put a B6 gen1 head on a gen2 block, or vice versa, given the HG differences?

Interesting note: My 87 323 comes with a v-belt pulley for alt and WP, but a ribbed pulley for PS and A/C! The PS certainly wasn't dealer-added, so it must be this way from the factory, even if the A/C was dealer-added. But the A/C was probably factory, given that this car seems to be loaded with every possible option.
                  Last edited by TominMO; 09-22-2014, 12:04 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Calling all Mazda Gurus. Here's my problem. I have a reman engine as stated above. Problem is the crank nose is the small one with a narrow keyway, and only two drilled holes for the pulley. All my B3s except for the 93s have the small nose wide keyway cranks, and four holes for the pulley mounting. What B6 engine do I have so I can get the parts to finish this thing. It's becoming a real PITA!!!!
                    Chuck
                    91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                    93 GL - Lil Red
                    91 L - Tweetystiva

Comment

My 1st gen B6 from an '89 323 has the pulley from my original '89 festy engine on it. When I had a '94 aspire engine I needed a large nose pulley from a '93 Festy. I'm keeping it in case I ever need it again but if your B6 is from an '89 or older, the pulley from any Festy up to 92 1/2 or so should work. Does the engine you have look exactly like the B3?

Comment

Originally posted by zoe60 View Post
                        My 1st gen B6 from an '89 323 has the pulley from my original '89 festy engine on it. When I had a '94 aspire engine I needed a large nose pulley from a '93 Festy. I'm keeping it in case I ever need it again but if your B6 is from an '89 or older, the pulley from any Festy up to 92 1/2 or so should work. Does the engine you have look exactly like the B3?
                        Yep, it has the 630 code on the head that means it should be an 87 or 88 323 B6, but the crank sprocket for the timing belt is different. No one is getting the message. All the B3s have the small 22mm crank nose and wide slotted key, except the 1993s. The motor I have has the 22mm crank nose and a narrow key slot. The crank sprocket only has two drilled and tapped holes for the acc. belt pulley also, not four like the B3s.
                        Last edited by hotfordcat; 09-26-2014, 06:35 PM.
                        Chuck
                        91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                        93 GL - Lil Red
                        91 L - Tweetystiva

Comment

I got what you meant, but I am perplexed, too! Doesn't sound right. My B6 is an 89, and was exactly like the festy. I could switch the crank gear between B3/B6.

I wonder if the 87-89 323 had a crank change, like the festys did in mid 92 thru 93?

If it was me, I think I might wanna take it back
                          Last edited by drddan; 09-27-2014, 12:33 AM.
                          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                            I got what you meant, but I am perplexed, too! Doesn't sound right. My B6 is an 89, and was exactly like the festy. I could switch the crank gear between B3/B6.

I wonder if the 87-89 323 had a crank change, like the festys did in mid 92 thru 93?

To late. It's in the car. Only thing now is to determine if it's a Canadian engine from a wagon!!! Or, if it came with EGI, but no one can tell me what EGI is, not even the dealership????
                            Last edited by hotfordcat; 09-27-2014, 07:51 AM.
                            Chuck
                            91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                            93 GL - Lil Red
                            91 L - Tweetystiva

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post

My B6 is from an 88 and matched the Festiva as well. Perhaps you've been given the wrong crank gear. The gear may have the wide keyway but does the crank?
                              Ian
                              Calgary AB, Canada
                              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Working...
                              X