HELP, NO BRAKES!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP, NO BRAKES!!!

Ok, here's the situation. I was on my way to work this morning, enjoying my drive, all is well. Got ready to pull off highway turning onto ramp when I applied brake pedal to slow, pedal depressed all the way to the floor. After second or third pump had brake pressure and there were no problems slowing down. Carefully got to a parking spot at work and stopping was the same again, took a few pumps. It was then that I noticed my parking brake had been on the whole time. I was doing 55-65 mph for a 25 minute drive.
    So I leave for the day and it was working again as normal. Is there anything I need to check. Guess I'm wondering what caused a loss of brake pressure and how it just went back to normal. Obviously I know nothing about how the e-brake works.

Driving with the e-brake on will heat up the rear brakes enough to boil the brake fluid! Vapour in the lines will get you soft brakes until everything cools off.
    At least that's what I figure happened. You definitely want to check things out brake-wise and keep an eye on the fluid levels.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Bert. That makes really good sense. I did check the fluid level before I drove again and it was at max.

Comment

if you need a master cyl. let me know I have a complete brake assy. off of a 89LX

92 GL was red automatic Ms Va., now Zinc Yellow

Comment

check your rear brake shoes. There not much liner on them to begain with.

Comment

Thanks, I'll check the rear brake shoes tomorrow as I'm off. I'll also be working on my air blower motor in dash and doing some detailing.

Comment

You may want to look into replacing or at least rebuilding the wheel cylinders. They probably have been on the car since new and the rubber pistons are probably brittle. When I picked up my 90L plus the drivers side was weeping fluid. Replacements were less than 10 bones a piece iirc.
              90 L plus 180,000 miles and counting.

Comment

Originally posted by 90festivalplus View Post
                You may want to look into replacing or at least rebuilding the wheel cylinders. They probably have been on the car since new and the rubber pistons are probably brittle. When I picked up my 90L plus the drivers side was weeping fluid. Replacements were less than 10 bones a piece iirc.
                Yep, I just had to do one of these on my car today. Ended up having to replace the brake line going from the hose to the cylinder as well because the line fitting got stuck in the cylinder.

Don't rebuild them.
                I did that twice, and they still continued to spring leaks.
                Or maybe these Autozone parts are just that terrible. If it happens with the completely brand new one on there, then I will straight up buy a quality one from rockauto.
                Last edited by TorqueEffect; 09-28-2014, 11:08 PM.
                1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Working...
                X