What IS this thing ..... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What IS this thing ..... ?

%*#^ Haynes! Haynes is only showing 88 carbs and aspires for reference to electrical/emission info. I have a 92 Festiva that has a dashpot for what looks like an idle up control, till it warms up??? Haynes hasn't a thing about it.

I have a HIGH idle issue @ start up and it will come down after a half minute or so. It starts at 3000 RPM! then was coming down to 1400-1500. I adjusted the idle screw on the TB and now comes down to about 700 RPM, BUT, it still starts and runs at 3000 RPM @ start up.

If I push on the plunger under the dashpot thing in the pic, I can force it to drop rpm's faster.

I believe it may be that dashpot, that is the problem??? I don't know what to call it to get another. What is it called?

EDIT:
    If I give it any gas at all while sitting or driving the engine still jumps to 3000 RPM and slowly comes back down, every time the gas is applied. Keeps doing it.

Last edited by drddan; 09-28-2014, 06:58 PM.
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Sorry it's a bit small... I need to clean out some of my old pictures so I can upload larger photos. My manual says to never adjust the stop screw under the valve.

Last edited by 1990new; 09-28-2014, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Take the dashpot off and throw it away. I never keep them. No issues from ditching it on several cars. Your throttle will snap shut quicker. That's it. Which in my book, is a good thing.
      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
        Sorry it's a bit small...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16384[/ATTACH]
        Is okay, I got it and can zoom it picture viewer

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
        Take the dashpot off
        This will, at the very least, tell me if this is the issue!

Thanks guys ....
        Last edited by drddan; 09-29-2014, 01:02 AM.
        Dan

R.I.P.
        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

People like to lean on those and bend them.
          1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

It's necessary for manual transmission though, it's tuned with your rotating mass to match engine speed between shifts.

Comment

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
              It's necessary for manual transmission though, it's tuned with your rotating mass to match engine speed between shifts.
              What happens when the oil in the transmission gets cold ? Thats a good one !
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Okay, I backed off the adjustment screw on the throttle until the adj. screw can no longer touch the dashpot. Normal idle now!

I may try adjusting on the dashpot and screw per above pic from Jess (1990new) and see what happens, but I will leave it like that until I get it inspected. It was ready for inspection, but I didn't want to take it in, til I got rid of the high idle

Thank you guys!

Jess ... BTW, it does state how to adjust the dashpot screw in the pic of the FSM you posted! I will be trying that.
                Last edited by drddan; 09-29-2014, 12:50 PM.
                Dan

R.I.P.
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Drddan just FYI. When you adjust the throttle adjustment screw, you also change the TPS settings. That is why the manual states that the screw should not be tampered with. I apologize in advance if I misunderstood which screw you turned.
                  Last edited by dalebwilson; 09-29-2014, 01:46 PM.
                  "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
                  “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Screw to not adjust

Here is the note I was talking about screw to not adjust.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd487/1990new/Festiva%20Fuel%20Injections%20Sytem/TPSAdjustment-1.jpg

Comment

Well ... it is a little to late it! Already moved the screw.

I wonder why if Skecthman removes the daspot's on his Festy, why it would be any different to back off the adjustment screw?? Seems to me to be the same thing. Turning the screw does not move anything when turning it. How would it effect the TPS? Turning the screw does not rotate the throttle, it backs it off the dashpot.

And why is there the section just before the "warning do not turn the screw" section, that has instructions for adjusting said screw??? Conflicting info, IMO, but I do not really know these new fangled EFI systems yet! :mrgreen:

I am all over carby's but still on a learning curve here. In other words ...I know enuf to be dangerous!!!!
                      Dan

R.I.P.
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                        Well ... it is a little to late it! Already moved the screw.

I wonder why if Skecthman removes the daspot's on his Festy, why it would be any different to back off the adjustment screw?? Seems to me to be the same thing. Turning the screw does not move anything when turning it. How would it effect the TPS? Turning the screw does not rotate the throttle, it backs it off the dashpot.

And why is there the section just before the "warning do not turn the screw" section, that has instructions for adjusting said screw??? Conflicting info, IMO, but I do not really know these new fangled EFI systems yet! :mrgreen:
                        I had a loping idle at one time and without giving it much thought adjusted the dashpot screw until the idle became consistent. Put at least another 60,000 mi on that engine without being aware you aren't supposed to tinker with that part. Oh well!

Comment

Working...
                        X