Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pedal on the floor, going barely 3 mi an hr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pedal on the floor, going barely 3 mi an hr.

Back story. I got the car from a lady that had it parked for 7 yrs. It overheated and blew the cylinder head. It was gonna be a project car, but my sis needed a car ASAP. I Don't have the tools and space to do it and was leaving for an extended trip, so, I payed a friend to change the cylinder head, and while at it, the water pump, pulleys, timing belt, fuel pump, distributor cap, cables , spark plugs, radiator, and oxygen sensor. The car was running but a little sluggish. i had to leave and while i was gone my sis kept on driving it. Then it stopped. she described ot as it losing power even though she was pushing the gas and then stopping. I'm back several months later and the car is parked. I put a new battery the car starts and when i put it in gear, goes supper slow. reverse barely works. changed the MAF nothing. now i noticed the catalytic converter gets red hot, and there is smoke coming from the underside of the car. When i put my hand on the exhaust pipe, i can feel it pushing against my hand fairly strong. don't have much cash left and need to get this done. Before I change the cat, i want to know, what's causing this? I'll post pics when i can.

Sounds like the catalytic converter is plugged/stopped up.
    Not sure of the reason, any idea of the condition of the motor?
    Did the motor smoke? How many miles on the car?
    I had the catcon in my Dakota plug up at 68000. No idea why.
    Thankfully it was under warranty.
    Last edited by Team Lightning; 10-01-2014, 11:06 PM.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

the motor was was pretty clean, the lady was very good to it. she was the original owner. the car is Fi and has 85,000 miles on it. I want to say the smoke was coming the Cat, when i saw the smoke i looked underneath and that is when i noticed that the cat was red hot.

Comment

It could just be one of those things that happened like on my Dakota.

Oh and Welcome to the Site!!
        Jerry
        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

The cat will turn red because it is working but it may not work long if you run it that way. You have unburned fuel and excess oxygen arriving at the cat.
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I am willing to bet the cat is plugged up.

Since you live it the dickest of all states in terms of emissions, you WILL have to get that replaced with a California spec one if it ever hopes to be street legal.
            1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
            2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
            1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Similar thing happened to my brothers R-X7. You could always cut the cat off & see if the symptoms are still there
              sigpic Hold up, I'm headed to the moon cus the world is screwed up

Comment

If the cat is getting a lot of unburned fuel, and you have no power, I'm thinking the timing belt is off a tooth or two. You mentioned that your friend changed it. A simple error that many of us have made.

Also check that he put the plug wires on in the proper order, and ignition timing, and even the plug gaps. One or more plugs may have gotten their gap narrowed if he wasn't careful putting them in.

The car has a newer head, and lots of good parts, so it's probably something simple. Sine it presumably ran fine before it overheated and the car only has 85K on it, looks like the new problem happened since the repairs. I doubt the cat would get plugged up so fast on its own; but if the mechanic screwed something up so that a lot of unburned fuel it getting to it, he may have caused this issue in the process of doing his repairs.

So check all those things I mentioned, then if there is no improvement, check the cat.
                Last edited by TominMO; 10-02-2014, 08:06 AM.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

A vacuum guage, if available, will show up a clogged exhaust without having to disconnect pipe.
                  See the permanent ("sticky") thread on vaccum guage diagnosis at the top of this forum page.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Regardless the cat has to be changed since your saying it's glowing red. I would disconnect the cat to see if that is what's robbing your engine power. You have installed all these new parts. Start on something you know is bad & go from there. Its a cat mouse game at this point
                    sigpic Hold up, I'm headed to the moon cus the world is screwed up

Comment

BROWNBEAR, If the CAT is factory installed, it can simply be taken off by removing the 4 -17mm nuts.
                      "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
                      “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

You can also just remove the two front cat nuts and push the cat up a little to test the engine with the cat loose.

Comment

Wait on the new cat, it might still be okay if it can get hot like that , a new cal cat is to expensive to just throw on because your old one might be bad. On top of that cats NEVER cause themselves to turn red, unburned fuel and excess oxygen ALWAYS cause this. Put a new cat on and burn it up too ? right. You never gave any indication of a rough running engine like a spark plug not sparking for some reason or cross wired. A gradual loss of power along with the fuel and oxygen arriving at the cat would point to a timing issue. Check the timing belt marks and ignition timing, both can jump or slip and leave a fairly smooth running engine with no power. If the engine is also rough running which you did not allude to then you would need to check where the spark is going. It needs to arrive capable of jumping 3/4 of an inch and at the right time. The plug needs to be good. You should be able to correct this with no money for parts or very little. After this give the cat a test, those are expensive.
                          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

just take the cat off

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                              Wait on the new cat, it might still be okay if it can get hot like that , a new cal cat is to expensive to just throw on because your old one might be bad. On top of that cats NEVER cause themselves to turn red, unburned fuel and excess oxygen ALWAYS cause this. Put a new cat on and burn it up too ? right. You never gave any indication of a rough running engine like a spark plug not sparking for some reason or cross wired. A gradual loss of power along with the fuel and oxygen arriving at the cat would point to a timing issue. Check the timing belt marks and ignition timing, both can jump or slip and leave a fairly smooth running engine with no power. If the engine is also rough running which you did not allude to then you would need to check where the spark is going. It needs to arrive capable of jumping 3/4 of an inch and at the right time. The plug needs to be good. You should be able to correct this with no money for parts or very little. After this give the cat a test, those are expensive.
                              ^ You want to listen to this guy! Knows a lot! TominMO got it right too!

Originally posted by skswig62 View Post
                              just take the cat off
                              This may not work in Cali ... emissions! Plus if he has fuel and timing issue, that will not solve the problem
                              Last edited by drddan; 10-02-2014, 05:34 PM.
                              Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                              Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                              http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Working...
                              X