No announcement yet.

Somewhat new to the forum. Looking for help on front wheel bearing replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somewhat new to the forum. Looking for help on front wheel bearing replacement

First things first, I'd like to welcome myself to the forum. Greetings y'all. This forum is gold!! I'm driving a 93 Ford tiva L, I'm a back yard mechanic. I have knowledge of a motor & basics. I recently did the Ford Ranger headlight swap & grill & running 6000K hid's. Plan on doing the Aspire axle swap with B6T motor swap in the future. I've been trolling threads on front bearings & found somewhat a decent write up. I know timken bearings are great but i bought cheap bearings since i plan on doing the axle swap this spring. Haynes bible book doesn't explain about front bearings. I have bought inner/outer bearings along with inner/outer seals & spindle nut. Is that all i need?? I plan on renting the tools at oriely's so what tools are suggested?? I have replaced a hub bearing before in my lesabre at the time but never a bearing that requires the bearing to be pressed. There probably is an awesome write up on replacing front bearings. I just haven't found it. Please dont troll on this & write a negative response. We all have pooped our pants before. Just looking for a great detailed write up & what tools are required to get the job done. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thank you
    sigpic Hold up, I'm headed to the moon cus the world is screwed up

welcome to the site! go to the upper right and click on advanced search, then type in front bearings and hopefully it will take you where you need to be.
    Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Try this.

Comment

Thanks for the tips my amigos, my buddy who owned the festiva before me. His dad had a Ford Festiva bible book laying around & it is detailed on front bearing replacement. Awesome link. More helpful. Thanks guy

Comment

I also am new to these forums, and just today the front passenger bearing on my Festiva decided to go out on me, so I feel your pain Ninja. I was already planning on replacing the bearings when I replace the lower control arms next week. I was wondering if it was possible to just fully replace the whole hub assembly, but I am unable to find one.

Comment

Yeah if you can find a donor festiva at a junk yard to pull out the hub assembly but who knows if its somewhat bad?? You'd be taking chances. Check ebay? There might be a used one on that site.

Comment

Numero uno. The timkens don't cost much more, take the cheap ones back,I have seen them die in a couple weeks.

Two,I did a write-up a while back but picture links broke.

Three, we filmed a video how to do it madness six but footage lost. Will try again this weekend!

Running around outside the asylum again with my tappy talky appy
              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Any pictures of the Ranger headlight swap? Welcome from another newbie.

Comment

Look what a search pulled up! (hint hint)

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...nger+headlight
                  Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                  Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                  Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                  Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I did consider buying the timken bearings. I was pricing it online & decided to go with the cheapest bearings but you are right on paying the extra few dollars to get the timkens. I do have the receipts so i will exchange them & pay the difference. Thanks guy.

The only write up i found was a thread on changing bearings with homeade tools. I was looking for a exact write up on it alone with tools but i do have the festiva bible book witch explains it good. Feel free to send that link guy. Thanks

Pictures of that headlight swap are posted above this comment & i have some photos on my profile listed in random photos. I lpve the swap. Always having people ask me what I'm driving lol

Comment

That was probably my thread, photobucket broke the links to the pics. You can do it with a swing press (BFH) as the only "specialty" tool, and an angle grinder. I am packing for Madness now. So by Monday should have a video tutorial posted. Texting with FestYboy right now about making it.

Basically, remove the knuckle, use a big socket on the back side to separate the hubs, remember where the spacer is, if you lose it your screwed, replace bearings with new ones and races, insert spacer, run a threaded rod through the assembly and snap it together, make sure it isn't too hard to turn, and if it is, pop apart and pop together again. Use only Timken bearings, make double sure your struts are in good shape, and away you go. Bad struts will ruin bearings, BTW.
                      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

They are actually super easy to do if you have the tools, but they are easy.. Took me an hour or two for the first one and maybe just under an hour for the other side. Take it slow, pay attention and make sure you have both bearings, inner and outer seals, grease and all the other parts you need.. And man did I forget a lot of parts.

Comment

Originally posted by NaturalSelection View Post
                          I also am new to these forums, and just today the front passenger bearing on my Festiva decided to go out on me, so I feel your pain Ninja. I was already planning on replacing the bearings when I replace the lower control arms next week. I was wondering if it was possible to just fully replace the whole hub assembly, but I am unable to find one.
                          This is a great site if you can't find a knuckle hub assembly or any part that your local junk yard may not have. I picked up a knuckle hub assembly for $69 shipping and all from Iowa to Michigan. http://www.partshotlines.com/

Comment

I too had problems with Photobucket changing URL's and had to repost a list of Festiva photo projects I have on there. Was not easy figuring out from the website what format they use now.
                            Last edited by WmWatt; 10-03-2014, 01:27 PM.
                            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                            X