Parkinson's steering wheel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parkinson's steering wheel...

My '90 L+Plus has a steering wheel that oscillates gently back and forth at low speed, under about 30mph. It's like it has Parkinson's Disease.

I can't find anything wrong with wheels or tires, doesn't pull to one side, don't hear any bearing noise, and the shaking disappears over about 40mph.

Typical stiff Festy steering when not moving. Any idea what might cause this shaking problem?

Thanks for any comments.

Lets see ... out of round tire, bulge in tire, or bent wheel? Check lug bolt tightness. Jack up each wheel and check for play/wobble by pulling top to bottom, and side to side on wheel. Check for worn LCA's and tie rods.
    Last edited by drddan; 10-02-2014, 11:39 PM.
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Make sure your sway bar bushing are good and the nuts are not coming loose at the lower control arm. One of mine was doing this once and
      finally the nut came off and the sway bar popped out while I was driving it (at low speed luckily). Your symptoms are a little different and it's probably not your problem though.

Comment

When was alignment last checked (with string, cheap) and tires balanced?

Is the steering loose or stiff? I've sprayed oil up inside the shocks to free up the
        steering but I think it maybe can be done by loosening the nuts at the top of the strut
        while the car is jacked up and lubruicate from the top. The shocks rotate on a nylon washer or
        something and can make steering stiff so I've read. Definitely helped.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Onree View Post
          My '90 L+Plus has a steering wheel that oscillates gently back and forth at low speed, under about 30mph. It's like it has Parkinson's Disease.

I can't find anything wrong with wheels or tires, doesn't pull to one side, don't hear any bearing noise, and the shaking disappears over about 40mph.

Typical stiff Festy steering when not moving. Any idea what might cause this shaking problem?

Thanks for any comments.
          Slipped or broken belt in one of the front tires?

Comment

Take weight off tire, just enough to clear ground. Rotate and any bulged or high spots from broken cords will scuff cement.

Hydraulic jack is best for this.

I had a broke cord and wheel did exact same thing. Aspire, Dakota, ton truck. All did the same thing.

Cheap ass I am I just put it on the rear axle. It'll hold it better then steer linkage. Heh.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
            Last edited by jason_; 10-04-2014, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X