no low end power after aspire swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no low end power after aspire swap?

Ok so i swapped a 96 aspire motor into my 91 festy. Used original intake and used aspire exhaust manifold and alt.
    now i have to milk her threw the low end of ever gear except reverse. One i get past the low end it feels like thw power hits me and she goes fine till i have to shift up again. Any ideas whats wrong? Cleaned all connections and grounds. The motor ran fine in the aspire and the tranny (festys original) is fine

Your timing sounds like its retarded that's all,have you tried advancing the timing? I dont know if you changed the timing belt but I know for sure you swapped Dizzy's
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I just went to check tuning and am having troubles finding the connection that needs to be grounded. There's two connections near the wiper motor both are single wire yellow with a greenish stripe one has a black connected and the other has a white one. Which one do i ground?

Comment

Yeah. Just move the disty and see if it changes behavior. Then you can more accurately time it if wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboomer999 View Post
          I just went to check tuning and am having troubles finding the connection that needs to be grounded. There's two connections near the wiper motor both are single wire yellow with a greenish stripe one has a black connected and the other has a white one. Which one do i ground?
          The Black one and the Ford/Mazda Manual specifically says to turn Key OFF BEFORE hooking up the ground. In other words, dont ground the STI while the car is running. I've notice erroneous results if I Grd while the engine is running. Then once you've made the adjustment,shut off car normally and remove grd with power off. This rewrites the memory for the new "Base Timing". Nitro-
          ps that other wire is the tach out if IRCC
          Last edited by nitrofarm; 10-04-2014, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Great thanks for all the help she's purring now i have the timing set a little advanced from the first notch (aspire engine doesn't seem to have a ruler scale like the festy just one pointer and two notches on the pulley) hope it's not an issue having it a little past the first notch as it seems to perform a lot nicer that way then if i just line up to mark.

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
              The Black one and the Ford/Mazda Manual specifically says to turn Key OFF BEFORE hooking up the ground. In other words, dont ground the STI while the car is running. I've notice erroneous results if I Grd while the engine is running. Then once you've made the adjustment,shut off car normally and remove grd with power off. This rewrites the memory for the new "Base Timing". Nitro-
              ps that other wire is the tach out if IRCC
              Probably stupid question but IRCC?

Comment

Advanced the timing, is what you did. Is okay! As long as it doesn't detonate, it is okay. I advance mine till it detonates, then back it off til it doesn't detonate. That is usually the best setting. Peeps here have gone as far as 12-14 degrees BTDC with no problems and about where mine sits.

I put an Aspire engine in my 92, and used the Festiva timing cover so I could have the little timing marks!
                Last edited by drddan; 10-04-2014, 03:43 PM.
                Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Good idea on the timing cover! Could you clarify what you mean by detonate? Thanks

Comment

I believe he is referring to the audible ping you would hear when the exploding gas fires too far ahead of time so that it hits the piston before it comes up to the top of the stroke. You would also experience a loss in power. Detonation is caused by hot spots in the combustion chamber igniting the fuel mixture before the spark plug fires so that there are two flame fronts colliding. One solution is to switch to a higher octane gas.
                    Last edited by bravekozak; 10-04-2014, 04:10 PM.

Comment

These 1.3 like timing. Run at least 89 octane and you'll be fine.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by joeboomer999 View Post
                        Could you clarify what you mean by detonate? Thanks
                        You can hear the detonation. It is a pinging noise from engine, when it is under a load at low rpm. Say you were taking off in 2nd gear, instead of 1st gear, if it was too far advanced, it would do the detonation pinging. I also check it at about 10-15 mph by going to 3rd gear and give it gas, to see if I hear it. Advance til you hear it, then back off a little at a time til it goes away.
                        Last edited by drddan; 10-04-2014, 05:18 PM.
                        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Great thanks! I'll go play with it more in a little bit is this pinging easily noticeable or will i have to really listen for it? ...i guess I'll find out soon enough lol... and just checking, there's no problems that occur do to running it so advanced?

Comment

Yes it's quite audible. But they really do love timing. Can run midgrade fuel and never worry about it. And t
                            Enjoy the extra oomph.

Comment

When you find out, please let me know.

Comment

Working...
                              X