Still having fuel pump problems??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still having fuel pump problems??

Hey I'm using an external electric fuel pump which keeps getting to hot.

How am I ment to mount it near the fuel tank so it doesn't get so hot?

I had a look under the car near the tank but can only see 4 metal lines what do I do which one is the fuel line? Do I cut one and run the fuel pump there?

Trace the fuel line from the pump to back to the fuel tank. Then you will know which one is the main fuel line. There should be a rubber fuel line connected to the metal line back by the tank. Mount the fuel pump as close as you can to the tank. Use rubber fuel line to connect to the pump, and then rubber line to the metal line running back up to the engine bay.
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Cheers buddy in having trouble finding the rubber fuel line near the tank?

Comment

image.jpg

Comment

image.jpg

Comment

Do I have to drop the fuel tank?

Comment

Have you looked under the rear seat yet? There is an access to the top of the fuel tank, under the rear seat. Flip the seat forward, lift up the carpet panel. Remove the access plate, and there is the access to the tank.
              Take a pic of what you can see of the tank, with the body panel access removed, while you are there. I want to see which tank you have. Carb or efi tank. The opening to the tank, is different for carb and efi. Round opening for carb, since carb tank does not have a pump connected to the sender. It has only a sender/filter sock down in the gas. EFI has a pump down there along with the sender/filter sock, and has bigger oval opening. Just curious to what you have back there.

Anyway, you should see a rubber line, up top, connected to the metal line

EDIT: There is not a lot of room back by the tank to mount a pump! Ask me how I know. lol

If you have to, you can cut the metal fuel line, and install a pump right next to the tank...... BUT ... I would wait, and NOT do that yet. Report back after you access the fuel tank from the top, with some pics of it.
              Last edited by drddan; 10-07-2014, 04:27 AM.
              Dan

R.I.P.
              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

image.jpg

Comment

image.jpgimage.jpg

Comment

There is no room at all to put it

Comment

Originally posted by Pedropete91 View Post
                      There is no room at all to put it
                      That's what she said.
                      1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Okay Pete! I think I see what may be going on. One more thing to do before I give any answers.

Measure the tank access fuel cover. Carby's are oval, and so are Efi's, but there is a size difference! I went out and measured both of mine for you. I have both carb and efi.
                        The carb tank cover is oval and is 4" x 5 1/2" and the efi is oval and is 5" x 5 1/2" ( bigger to fit the sending unit and fuel pump in there)
                        Measure yours and get back to me with the size of yours. I am thinking IF you have the efi tank you may be able to go with a stock pump in the tank itself!!!
                        If your tank cover access plate is 5" x 5 1/2" you should be able to get the stock, in tank fuel pump to work. (from the pic, it looks like an efi tank)

One problem I see in your pic is no electric wire attached to the connector on the access cover. See if you can locate the wire.
                        Last edited by drddan; 10-08-2014, 02:12 PM.
                        Dan

R.I.P.
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

What fuel pump are you using? Is it a bypass pump? Are you running a return back to the tank? If your deadheading the pump it will overheat.
                          N3WBI3

Comment

Flyin4stroke lol haha that she did. What a pain I just put everything back together I guess I will have to because I want this bullshit fixed. Ok I sort of get you. But why would I have an efi tank when it's a carby motor/car? I unplugged the wire from the connector so it made it easyer it's on there..

I'm not sure what fuel pump
                            What is a by pass pump?
                            How do I know if I have a return back to the tank? I think I have. I do have a fuel filter with 3 nipples on it?
                            What's deheading?
                            As u can tell I don't know much but I am trying I'm pretty much over it now have tryed everything

Comment

What is this? Can I hook it up to this? image.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X