BRAKE WARING LIGHT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRAKE WARING LIGHT

This is the second time I took off in my car with the e-brake pulled up. After rear brakes get hot I lose some braking power. Once it cools back to normal all is well. I have a warning light on instrument panel for brake, but it does not light up when I pull up the brake. Sure would help me for when I forget to disengage mine. Could it be the bulb out or .....? If it's too complicated guess I'll just stop lifting the park brake, after all it's an automatic.

First check the bulb. That is usually the problem.
    If not, then check to make sure the commector is attached to the terminal at the rear of handle assembly, just under the carpet.
    If not, then the wire might be compromised somwhere.

Comment

Also check the light switch at the bottom of the parking brake lever isn't stuck.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Good advice, thanks guys. Tomorrow I'm off and will get to look at that.

Comment

Also check the fluid level, low fluid will make the brake light come on
          Last edited by eurotiva; 10-06-2014, 06:34 PM. Reason: Auto correct sucks
          -Greg
          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
          Redneck Engineer
          FOTY - '09
          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Thanks eurotiva, but first thing I did was check on that fluid level, all good. My brake light has NEVER came on. My problem is that I keep getting in and taking off with the dang parking brake pulled all the way up to the top. Go to hit brakes moments later and heart skips a beat......
            After they cool (brakes) pressure always returns to normal. I'm a doof and probably need to stop using the park brake as it's an auto. Years of habit hard to break, just would like to at least get the brake light fixed so at least that may deter me from driving with it on. Either that or put an eject sticker on the park brake handle!
            I'll be checking it out in a few minutes as I'm OFF TODAY!!:fofd:
            Last edited by kevyrev; 10-07-2014, 09:21 AM.

Comment

If you stop using the parking brake the clevis pins are likely to rust and the brake will not work. The clevis pins are what the beake arms rotate on where they enter the back wheel.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

There are pictures and a youtube link, I believe, posted somewhere on the forum that shows how to
                remove the actuator/adjuster from the rear wheel brake assembly and then to free it up and lubricate it.

I've never had one freeze up on me her in the South before but one was frozen up on Bessie when I got her back
                from my son who had been driving her in Louisville, KY for four years.
                Last edited by 1990new; 10-07-2014, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X